Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to carry a spare tyre?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheAustrian, Jan 18, 2007.

1. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

Wonder what is the best way to carry a spare tyre. Inside the truck I don't want because I want to have a full size spare tyre just as same size as the running tyres are. My tyres are 35x14,50x15 and a spare tyre of that size would take to much space away.

1st option:
    carry on a roof rack. I think that would be a disadvantage especially off the road since a heavy spare tyre will lift the center of gravity which does the roof rack alrady.

2nd option:
    carry with the factory spare tyre moutn outside. The one which is mounted to the right outside corner and can be swing aside to open the tailgate. Is that strong enough to carry a heavy tyre?

3rd option:
    carry with a custom made steel rear bumper with a swing gate mount. I have seen some pictures on some web sites. In case that is the best option, I would consider to weld such a bumper by myself.

Just want to hear some oppinions, pros and cons. Maybe some of you have already experience with one of those spare tyre carrier.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I carry one on the roof and one on the swingout that I built. Look in my gallery for pics.

3. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I have mine up on the roof too on my roof rack. Its nice to have it up and out of the way.

~Brian

4. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The original swing-away style carriers -- they aren't actually factory, but dealer, but that's as never mind :) -- are NOT strong enough to hold a big tire. They BARELY do with a 31", and a 33"x12.50" *will* rip sheetmetal. I know this from personal experience :)

Also, lifting a 35" up onto the roof is really, really hard. I know this from personal experience.

An aftermarket, custom-made carrier is the way to go. I'm doing one of these when I finish the 37 projects ahead of it in the queue:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183527&highlight=stinger

-- A

6. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I liked those tire carriers untill I saw how much they bounced around. Lifting the 35 up on the roof can be a PITA but its good fer my arms. :D I want to make a double hindged bumper carrier that swings away... Then I can fit a set of 4 paddle tires on the roof for when I go to the dunes.

~Brian

7. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

#3 --- the roof is just a pain in the arse

[​IMG]

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

If it's a K5, carrying it on the roof will eventualy crack the hardtop at the seems. I'd go with a swing away, or swing down carrier.

9. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your suggestions and explainations! I think I will go with a custom rear bumper with either a stinger swing down or swing away carrier. That seems to be the best way. Yes, it is a K5, not a Burban or Truck. I already figuered out how stable the K5 hardtop may be. The edges and corners are double layer reinforced, so I think it could be tough enough when mounting a roof rack at these reinforced corners, considering to spread the weight to several mounting points.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is how I built my rear bumper with some pics.