Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to check and adjust alignment in the driveway?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Oct 31, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What is the best/easiest way to check your alignment in the driveway? I am sure it is off some and want to adjust it so that its pretty close. Problem is figuring out a reliable way to measure. Any ideas/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm getting good at this game now. I take 2 peices of about 2' long angle or square tubing and clamp them to the rotors front to back then take a tape and measure front and back and adjust till they are the same distance front and back. So far I have done this to my D44 front and D60 and both time the alignment shop didn't have to adjsut a thing for me.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Decent method, but not totally correct. You need to have toe-in. This means that the front measurement should be around 3/16" shorter than the rear measurement.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just did a buddy's 10 bolt. Clamped two levels to the rotors and made a couple of small marks 16" front and rear of the hub center on each level. I set it so I had 1/8" toe in when measured 16" ahead of center versus 16" behind center.

He just got back from a long trip and said it track beautifully down the road...

Rene

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I get some string with tacks on it. Tack one end of the string to the centerline of the tires 1/2 way up the tire. I tape phillip head drivers (the kind you can put in a drill chuck) on the other end of the string so it hanges just barely above the ground. Now measure distance between fronts and rears.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I use a piece of 1x4. measure from the inside of the tires at the frontmost and rearmost part of the tires...put a marks on the wood until they are the same distance apart...make the mark where they are equal bigger so you can tell which one it is for next time..using a tape measure is bad because it bends...make sure the end of the wood is on the very corner of the tread and sidewall. I like to press the wood up to the leaf springs in the front, and on top of the driveshaft but below the springs for the back to keep it level