Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to clean out a tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Oct 1, 2005.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

whats the best way to clean out a tranny?? i.e. get all the old fluid out, and any junk that may be inside? I do not want to completely tear into it, just get all the crap fluid out. Its a 700r4 by the way

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe some oil changer places have a machine they can hook your tranny lines up to. it will flush out all the old fluid and put in new fluid.. pretty much changes all the fluid because it pumps all the old fluid out of the converter.
    Otherwise you could just do a few oil changes to your tranny. Change the fluid, drive it, change it again the following weekend, that way you get a lot of it.

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

take 2 5gl buckets. fill one up leave one empty. find out which line on the tranny is the pressure line and then the return line. put the one that sucks in the bucket with the tranny fluid and the one that that spits in the empty one. and start the truck and just keep adding fluid in the bucket until it starts coming out red again. we did this with my buddies k5 when he sank it in the river and his fluid looked like pepto bismal. and it was a built 700r4. he hasnt had no problems as far as i know and this was over 6 months ago.

4. jekquistk5

I thought about changing it like after two weeks, then again in another 2 weeks, but I figured there was an easier way. Thanks :thumb: And my pan doesn't have a drain plug YET, so its kinda a pain in the arse

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

how is the tranny now? how is the fluid now? any problems now with these and the smart shops wont touch it at all. if all is good and shift good even under full throtle then flush it with the machine. and it should take about 13-14q of fluid for full flush. and 4-5 for pan drop.

6. jekquistk5

Ok the fluid was pretty gross, but it still shifts were its supposed to, and the tranny shifts fine even under full throttle. I'm going to drop the tranny next week sometime to replace the input seal arround the T/C because its leaking from there, or atleast I hope thats the cause. I will be putting a new T/c in as well as all new lines, and a tranny cooler. I just want all the bad fluid out for some new stuff

7. sweetk30

o.k. then drop the pan and with new t/c and others this will give ya vary close to full flush.

8. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to still flush the lines and cooler if not replacing all. Wasn't sure if you were replacing your current cooler or adding an additional cooler. I use the aerosol can flush myself. Works great. This is the stuff I use.

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_kooler_kleen.html

9. sweetk30

yes yes please use it. thanks forgot to say flush it.;)

10. jekquistk5

The tranny will be getting all new lines, Just because I had problems with them earlier. I replaced the bad section with compression fittings, and I want to eliminate that. will an air compressor work to blow out all the crap in the stock cooler or does that stuff actually have a cleaner in it. Thanks

11. sweetk30

you wont get all the crap out of the stock cooler. but use the compressor to dry it out after.

12. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Use the cleaner. The pressure from the aerosol will move all the crap through. It also cleans as it goes. Plus the liquid will help carry the gunk out where air will just move it around until it gets by.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I was under the impression that the pump on a 700r4 is simply a one-stage "push" pump. Are you saying that the tranny actually "sucked" the clean fluid from the bucket?:confused:

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sorry, but you asked...

The BEST way to clean out the tranny is to do a full disassembly and rebuild. You can get every spec of dirt out of there.

OK, other than that, I recommend the do-it-yourself flush, but don't forget to change the filter, too. I usually just run the engine for like 10 seconds at a time and pour new fluid down the dipstick tube. If you have it pumping out into a gallon jug that measures up the side, it's easy to know how much to add.