Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to clean/paint a front/rear end?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 18, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I'm almost done with my rear end, but it's this ugly rust color and I want to paint it. What's the best way to go about doing this? I don't really want to sand blast it, though that would be best. Suggestions?

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is it a rust color or is it covered in actual rust? Never a bad idea to soak it in Oven Cleaner, then go nuts with wire brush and/or wire wheel, and maybe sandpaper if you want to get detailed. Then give it a good couple coats of rust controlling paint.

3. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

since blasting it is out.
    get yourself a knotted wire wheel that screws onto a 4" angle grinder.
    works great and getting rust and grime off and your skin, so wear gloves.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Take it to a company that does metal stripping. You should be able to find one under 'metal fabrication' in the yellow pages. That's what I did with my fenders and doors. They dip the parts in an acid bath that takes off all the paint and rust leaving nothing but fresh metal. Then they dip it in another tank of phosphuric acid to prevent it from rusting. Each part was only $50, well worth it in my opinion. The only draw back is that you'll need to coat the inner parts of the fenders, and they can be a little tricky to get to. But hey, you asked for the best way and in my opinion that's it. :grin: