Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way, to Cleaning up oil in driveway

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Mar 28, 2006.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok ive inherited some leaks.:haha: WHats the best way to clean off you driveway from oil/trans & fliuds? In your guys opinion?

Shoot! :laugh:

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

cat litter. sounds funny, but works great. so does sawdust.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ive tried that over and over, but it never gets it all up all the way. Do you do it in phases? Because it still leaves a mark when i do it. I mean to really clean the hell out of it so its gone!:D

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Sawdust, kitty litter, and for small stuff brake/carb cleaner and a lil scrubbing.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Kitty kitter. Grind it in with a brick, sweep it up. Not perfect, but that's what I do.

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cheap ass kitty litter then a little Dawn. It puts grease on the run ya know.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are talking about oil stains, you can try bleach if it is concrete.

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I use cheap parts store brake cleaner and kitty litter. Cover the area with brake cleaner, drop a good amount of kitty litter sans turds, and scrub vigorously with a hard bristled broom. Actually makes my concrete look better than before. Just keep scrubbing well past what you think is good enough. I usually just scoop the litter up and use it again later. Autozone has buy one get one sales on brake cleaner sometimes so I buy 2 cases and get a 10% discount on top.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to clean the scud marks off your driveway? That just makes the new ones show up more later. What do I know, I live in a rental house afterall... My driveway is so nasty water beads off of it when it rains.

10. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

dawn dish detergent/ hot water/scrubbrush anf if its realy a mutha throw some comet down with the dawn after the kitty/sawdust

but hot water is very important

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Let nature take its corse:wink1:

At work we use a healthy ammount of acid. What kind im not sure, scrub it in with a broom and then use the power washer(heated).

If your hose had enough pressure you could prolly blast it off with the acid trick but im not for sure.

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

For spilled fluids, regular peat moss works extremely well to soak it up. In fact it is the best thing I have ever used, and I do accident recovery. It is a little trick I learned from the Montclair Fire Department. I have a decent amount f success usine Castrol Super Clean to get the stains off the driveway, but you should try out a hidden spot to make sure it doesn't leave any mark on the pavement.

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I use gasoline and kitty littler. Kitty litter on the stain, grind it in with my boots, sweep it up, pour a little gas on it, let it sit for a few minutes, apply kitty litter, grind it in, sweep it up :)

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If it is a small spot, I use Dave's Insanity hot sauce. It will leave the spot looking like it is brand new. I dropped a bottle once and it make the concrete look like it was just poured.

15. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should see this guys driveway...he'd need a friggin' 50 gallon drum or two of hot sauce to clean his driveway. C'mon Lep, take a pic for everyone!

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I leaked about a quart of trans fluid onto my inlaws driveway a few years back and got this solvent from Napa and scrubbed it with a broom & hosed it off. Worked great, but damn if I could remember what it's called.

Mike

17. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

scrub with castrol super clean rinse then throw some portland cement, or mortor mix on top and sweep around with a broom, looks great afterwards:D

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've done the kitty litter & brick - well 2x4 - trick. I've done the acid trick, BTW Muriatic (pool acid, HCL - be gol danged careful with that stuff) is what I used. I've done the Super Clean trick. I've even used the stuff the local hardware store stocks for cleaning driveways. Imagine that!

The best has to be the Rice Hull Ash. Sprinkle it on dry. Grind it in with a 2x4 Let it set a while, then sweep it up. I've seen it pull OLD grease stains out of concrete. Best part is no real work involved. The hard part is finding it. It is sometimes sold as "GreaseSweep" or a name similar to that.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Rice Hull ash....

They use Rice Hull Ash at New England Dragway to mop up spills..they say nothing works better...wonder if its NHRA approved?:thinking:

I have no idea where to get it,other than the "Grease Sweep" stuff you might find at a maintenence supply place...it'd take forever to de-hull enough grains of Uncle Bens rice, and burn them to get the ash!..:p: ..

I've gotten by with kitty litter,speedi-dri,etc,ground in with a brick and rinsed after..I tried pouring gasoline on a gear oil stain and lit it with a lighter..the asphalt got so hot it melted,and the stain was still visible,though the wet oil did dissapear..make tons of white horrid smelling smoke,took 15 minutes before it went out!..I also used a 2500 psi pressure washer once,and carved a nice hole right down to the crushed stone base!..:doah:

Back in 1986,my 72 K5 peuked gear oil and motor oil all over the driveway..my dad always freaked out about oil spills on the asphalt..I tried a lot of detergents,and cleaners made by "Gunk" for cleaning driveways(kerosene if you ask me!) and even "TSP" (trisodium phosphate) and other cleaners..nothing really did any better than kitty litter and a brick did..

However...now,20 years later,I'm hard pressed to find even a TRACE of the forementioned oil spots,that WERE quite bad!...mother nature,rain,snow,and sand worked miracles!..all I had to do was NOTHING...and wait!...:doah:

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Whoa! That only works on concrete, man! Asphalt, gear oil and gasoline are all made of the same stuff so if one burns away, so will the others. Of course, heating concrete too much can make it explode...
    The best thing for getting stains out of asphalt is to scrub it down to get the major goo off, go buy a couple buckets of driveway sealer and just cover it up! :thumb: