Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to cut aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by mo, Jan 23, 2007.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I am trying to make a new center console top plate for my camaro to incorporate my neew shifter, and was wondering what the best way to cut aluminum was.

I was thinking a little jig saw with a metal blade (if they make one)...

what do you guys think?

thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Skill saw with a carbide tooth blade if the lines are straight...for shapes you're stuck with a jig saw or vertical bandsaw/scrollsaw. Get yourself some cutting wax for whatever you're cutting with though. It keeps the blades from getting galled up with aluminum, and makes the cutting smoother.

Rene

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Scroll saw or vertical band would be best for shapes...we cut most of the stuff for my friend's tube bend panels with a jig saw and it was a BITCH!

We couldn't find any carbide blades for my skill saw, so that sorta screwed us as well. However, thin abrasive blades worked pretty well for straight stuff as well. Clean up the edges with a flapper disc but be careful because they can remove a lot of material in a hurry when you're messing with Al.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Also AL doesn't spark, it just hurts with no warning. Don't use a bench grinder as it will gum it up and kick AL all over next time you use it for steel.

5. mikey_d05

I learned both of these lessons the hard way...good advice!

6. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks for all the tips, the scroll saw isn't even that much more than the little jig saw, so I will try that, looks much easier to work with.

thanks all!

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have used snips & cutting wheels on angle grinders. They both work ok. You have to be good with a set of snips though, & have a steady hand with a grinder if you use a grinder.

Harley

8. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, for drilling, should i get some cutting oil, or will wd-40 work alright?

(i've never worked with aluminum before)

thanks

9. mikey_d05

Aluminum is damn soft. For panels and such that are fairly thin you really shouldn't need anything.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What he said. Unless it is really thick like 1/4"+ I wouldn't even worry about cutting out if then even. Aluminum is way softer then the drill bit you will be drilling it with so it shouldn't cause any problems with your bits, and bits should eat right through it.

Harley

11. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

cool, the bottom mount's gonna be 1/4" the top plate is 1/8" (which i think might be too thick, but i'm gonna try it and see.)

12. mikey_d05

I think 1/8" should be about right. We used 1/8" aluminum diamondplate for my buddy's rig with some square tube supports and it worked really well.

13. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

if you need straight cuts you can use a circular saw with a regular wood blade for up to 1/2" think. or a coarse wood blade on a jig-saw untill you get under 1/8" thick. there is great cutting fluid called tap-magic that is green and made for aluminum. it helps drilling and cutting alot.

14. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I prefer a band saw for aluminum down to even .062. I will take a piece of plywood and cut into the middle of a decent size piece to cover the size of aluminum Im cutting. the wood suports the aluminum. it wont leave a swell on the bottom of the piece from the teeth trying to pull down on the aluminum if the teeth are a corse blade. you want to use a corse blade for al too.

most band saw machines have a kinda wide slot for the blade so it can allow a swell to develop in thin alum. if it 1/8 in or thicker thats not even a problem.

also tape before you cut so the panel wont get scratched by any chips on the table (or wood)that were not cleaned off or from the cut you are making.

granted I know most home garage guys dont have a band saw but its the best method I have used.

skill saws work well with the right blade for straight cuts that are long. use a straight edge to get a real good straight line.

jig saws are ok for like 1/8 in thick, thats about it. thicker its tough cause it will gall or load up the teeth. use corse teeth and wax. thinner will tear its way through and swell and bend the cut just like a band saw will. you would have to use a thin say 1/4 in piece of wood to back it up.​

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

wd works well for al.. (not for steel)
    plasma cut long runs.. if you get your speed right there is almost zero kerf. straight edge or steady hands
    jigsaw short pieces
    cutoff wheel for small cuts

if you use a grinder (flapdisc for al) for cleanup never use it on steel... the buildup can cause the wheel to explode.... AL welding tools should only be used for AL... thats the safe way to do it.. I have complete seperate sets in my shop

16. badboycrawler

badboycrawler Registered Member

Never use wd-40 for a cutting oil (drilling, tapping, etc.) it's just not made for that. I use a plasma cutter for my cutting of aluminum.

17. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

you guys a wealth of info, thanks!

18. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

you should NEVER use a grinding wheel for aluminum. either a hand grinder or a bench grinder. I have worked in shops where the shop forman would fire someone for doing that. as cam said it can explode and it can kill a person.

since it loads up and sticks to the wheel it causes an out of ballenced wheel. also when you need to grind something clean the stuck al. causes your piece to bounce which can also shatter a grinding wheel.

disc grinders are what you use for aluminum.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Carbide!..

I've used carbide tipped wood circular saw blades to cut up aluminum truck bodies for scrap...works suprisingly well!...cant do curves though...:crazy: