Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to drain gas from tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdevlin, Mar 17, 2004.

1. mdevlin

mdevlin Registered Member

I have a feeling that the gas in my tank has, or is going bad. Mostly because the truck has been sitting around waiting for me to finish it for a little over 2 years now, and after I finally got things running, it's running pretty rough, and sputtering and such. If I give the truck too much throttle it will usually stall out, and if I am lucky, every once in a while I will see a nice flame shoot up out of the carb.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some people use fuel stabilizer and run the gas out. I have pumps at work that attach to a drill (3/8 drive) and suck anything. You could get a pump like this cheap at most tool/home improvement stores, and suck all the gas out. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Siphon it out...

4. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Siphon it out..

[/ QUOTE ]

That works too.... I just haven't been able to do it without getting a mouthful of gas /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. mdevlin

that was more along the lines of what I wanted to do. I had a cheesy plastic hand operated pump that kind of worked like a bike pump, only it leaked and sucked and sucking. a drill operated pump or something similar seems like a much better idea. Are they advertised as being safe for flammable liquids?

I just dont want to end up emptying out the tank by blowing myself up too. However, my backup plan was to go with the whole fuel stabilizer approach, but I am a little leary to just go that route because I am not sure how effective those stabilizers are. I spent some time at the parts store looking at all the differant brands, and they all seem to want to be added before "storing your vehicle" and claim to work for "up to a year". Also, if I had a completly clean tank of gas, then I wouldn't have to worry about that being a possibility for why the truck was running bad.
    I am assuming my autometer gauge is working correctly, but was a little suprised that it said I had 3/4's of a tank full, which will mean I will need a lot of containers if I drain it.

I will have to check out home depot today and see if they have those pumps you mentioned, otherwise i'll probably go with the fuel stabilizer plan, then I figured I could just top off the tank with 93 octane gas and hope it all balances out.

thanks a bunch for your help..

6. pauly383

Some are rated for fuel etc, or should be I'm sure. I used to see them in Pep Boys for oil transfer uses etc. The ones I sell are for washing machine repair where tub is full and pump broke ( I can use it for anything and when seals go bad warranty them ). Places like Harbor Freight should also have something for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

I don't think the fuel stabalyzer will work now. You might try some carb cleaner and/or dry gas. Your jets might be gummed up with varnish. You might have to clean your carb.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes you will want to lcean out the carb no matter what, and get all the screws and such tight thhat hold it all together, carb screws like to work themselves loose, use nail polish on threads to help keep them tight

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What model? If it has the in tank pump, pull a pressure line and hot wire the pump (WELL AWAY FROM THE LINE YOU PULL!!!). You can do this at the fuel pump solenoid on the fire wall. You can't just turn on the key because of the oil pressure switch. You can often siphon (albeit slowly) by parking the vehicle nose down and just pulling the hose from the pump up front. Other than that, just drop the tank, then you can clean it out completely...

If you can get a siphon going from the filler on a K5, more power to you.

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

go to your local hardware store and tell them you want clear tubing it helps ALOT when you siphin gas beacuase you see it coming oh yea if you want they should have those pump siphins too...

11. mdevlin

i was talking to some people and found out that for whatever reason (if I owned a boat I would know) boat supply stores have all kind of hand operated oil/fuel pumps. On the bad side for whatever reason they only work with diesel fuel, and gasoline will ruin the pump, but they did have some bladder type deal that you connect inline with a long piece of clear hose. I got 4 5 gallon gas cans and had just had to squeeze the bladder thing a couple times until the gas got sucked all the way down the hose, then it would gradually fill the gas cans. I figured that siphoning would be a lot more involved and messy, but it got the job done pretty quick, and now I have 17 gallons of bad fuel.

thanks everyone for their help. It was much appreciated.

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

you just need to go to harbor frieght, they have one on sale for 5 bucks, just pump it 4 times and it goes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif