Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to drill through carpet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jan 28, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Im laying down some new carpet in the burb and i ned to drill holesthrough the carpet and floor to put the trim screws back in. Is there a good way to do it? Ive actually broke two drill bits now cause the carpet catches so bad. any ideas?

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

hiw about an awl?

just poke through and raem to your liking?

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

sorry man but what is an awl? the thing is is not only do i need to go through the carpet i need to drill through the floor too.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

An awl is like a real heavy duty needle, used for sewing and punching leather and heavy fabic. they usually have a lame on on the back of most swiss army knives, but you can buy a good one at a hobby store for a few bucks.

If it's going under a trim piece I would just cut a little slit with an x-acto knife, then drill.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

if your using good sheetmetal screws just put them in no need for a hole, they will go through

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

an awl is a punch generally used for poking holes in tough materials such as leather or carpet in your case.

i would suggest leaving all the bolts in their respective holes but sticking out at least a quarter of an inch. then when you lay the carpet down, take a utility knife and cut an x over the bolt/screw head and pop the head through. then you don't have to worry about finding all the holes, they will be easy to find.

good luck:grin:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It may sound silly, and depends on the carpet you are using, but burn it (the carpet) where you want to drill. If you smoke, it should be easy. Be careful not to make too large a burned spot, just enough to keep the carpet from catching on the drill bit.

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

sweet. Thanks for the replys Im pretty sure a have an awl laying around now that youv desribed it to me. Any who thanks again time to get back to the drill.:cool1:

9. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Believe it or not, I use an old soldering iron to "cauterize" a small hole where I want to drill, that seals the carpet and keeps it from fraying, and catching on the drill bit too.

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Here's what I did. Installed the screws where they had to go. Lay the new carpet over the screw heads,and took a razor blade and cut an X over the bolt head. Worked great. Have fun

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

This is the same thing but a different way of doing it. put some masking tape over the carpet where you want to drill the hole. Mark said hole with a pen. Cut out the hole where the bolt goes with the razor blade. Drill hole with the tape still over non-cut area. Then pull off excess tape. All done.:)

12. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

I've seen a "cheap trick" in four-wheeler magazine about this. I think they said to put a socket over the hole area, put some pressure on it, then drill right through to hole in the socket. I have NO idea if it works becase I've never tried it. Feel free to correct me.

13. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have heard of people using a shell casing from a bullet and hit it with a hammer to make the hole. .22 for small hole well you get the idea.

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just use live rounds and save time and effort of drilling! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

15. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I use the soldering iron too. Makes a nice, clean hole but you need to watch those fumes.....

16. idf_johnny

idf_johnny Registered Member

If you are using self drilling screw just spin the screw in reverse to get through the carpet, once you hit metal switch the direction on the drill and installl the screw. should work the same with a drill bit. another trick if you need to do a large hole saw size in a trim panel or carpet, run the saw in reverse to wear through the material. the teeth wont be grabby in reverse.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Huh???

Carpet???? whats a carpet?????--you mean a RUG??---in a 4x4 ???:what: :dunno: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Sorry-most of my trucks have had bare steel floors!! A rug only traps water and salt from your shoes,and rots the floor out in record time--and it makes it hard to hose out at the car wash!--my 82 K20 and 79 C10 still have the rugs,but they arent in great shape,being original...

I have twisted my share of carpet around drill bits and self-drilling sheet metal screws too,I have no easy answer for you,but I did read of a trick in one book ,they say if you put elmers glue on the spot you want to drill and let it dry,then you can drill it with no unraveling--never tried it myself,I usually remove the rug,drill the holes,and put back whats left of it(it usually is in tatters by the time I bought the truck!!)..:crazy:

18. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Live rounds work too you just have to be a good shot and chase the dog out from underneath the truck before you shoot. Watch what is behind your shot I wouldn't want to do a live test to see if the 205 is actually bulletproof.:mad: