Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to ensure axle is centered.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunner78, May 15, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

...I instaled a tuff country 6 inch lift and the measurements I keep taking on the front axle show that its canted about a 1/4 inch. I was wondering if theres a good way to see if its centered. Thanks Jesse

2. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Not quite sure what you mean by "canted" but to see if the diff is centered just measure the springs at the eyelet at the top front and then at the mounting pads. If they're even (and nobody has relocated the pads) then the diff should be in the right position. If you mean canted on a horizontal plane as viewed from the front, then just measure frame bottom to differential tube top to see if truck is level. Don't expect that though since there is usually more weight on the left side. Hope this helps...if not, provide more detailed info and I'm sure we'll all figure it out together.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Depending on which measurement you went off of, the 1/4" is only 1/8" off, since if you add 1/4" to the side thats off you are then 1/4" off the other way, so you only correct for half of it..which is 1/8" so as far as I know 1/8" is PDC for a truck. My buddies s-10 sits 3/4" difference in the rear and it's a Chevy prob..all s-10's do it.

4. mudrunner78

the measurements I was taking were from the axletube to the zerk fitting on my front spring eye(I have ORD greasable bushings) The axle seemed to be 1/4 inch closer on the drivers side. This is the front the rear had 2 totally different measurements. A buddy said just drive the truck and everything will settle where it needs to be by the time I retourqe everything. I just can't see this, I will take the wife out with the digi cam and post some pics, of the measurements. Thanks Jesse

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

An alignment shop should be able to tell you A.) if your axle is off-center, B.) By how much, and C.) what it will take to fix it.

Or you could just have them do it.

I would as it saves on tires. $50 may sound like alot now, but if your tires wear out prematurely the fifty bucks you saved may cost you alot more.

6. mudrunner78

well I have to be able to drive to a shop first, no rims or driveshafts, but I planed on getting it done. Jesse