Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to fix a cracked floorboard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnnyFresno, Mar 2, 2003.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

well I yanked my carpet out yesterday due to a leaky Heater Core ruining my carpet. I found there were 2 small cracks on the dtrivers side floorboard under the seat. Should I make a cut and replace it or just weld a piece over the cracks? The floorboard feels weak on both sides flimsy like.

I plan on doing herculiner later on.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Replace it!!! I have a very similar problem like what you described...I welded the crack and some plate over it but I am replaceing the entire floor with 16ga. steel this summer...

Chris

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My friends 89 is also cracked there...and has been for a while becuase the cracks started to rust. His floors had a few other holes so we're cutting all that out and welding in new steel.

He was concerned about future cracks so we decided to cage his truck and mount the seats to the cage...no more floor cracks./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Mine is the same way, I have new floor boards but I can't weld so I have to get a shop to do it. I was about to pay $700 for someone to fix all of my rust but I found another shop that is owned by a guy I know who said they'll fix it for $300. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Pics of my cracked floorpans and rust

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

mine didnt have any "cracks" it had actual holes- your best bet is to replace it all at the same time. If one side is weak- chances are the rest is- check behind the seats- near where the floor meets the wall's....sure to be rust... Pull the carpet up in the rear as well- cargo area's are known to be rusty...

Brandy