Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Way to Get 6 Inches?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

89 Suburban 2500...

I want to run 35's, drive it daily, and tow the other suburban without any major headaches.

What is the best lift?
    What is the best lift method, Front? Rear?
    What should I watch out for?
    Airbags?
    Suggestions?

Thanks

I am looking for what you have done that has worked... AND... what you have done that has NOT worked.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey Lee,

I would do 4" all spring on it. mine only had 4' fronts and even with the diesel in it it cleared those 35's. I would do 4" rears instead of a flip cause of the towing safety. and if needed then add a 1" body.
    You could go 6" but do ya really need 6 on a dialy driver or have to mod drivelines too at that point.

PS you gonna be home tomorrow, I need to drop off that th350-203 for ya and grab some stuff out of the burb.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

since you want to tow a heavy rig i would say 4 inch springs all the way around. some have towed with a shackle flip of one type or another, but i think with a load that large i would go with full spring lift.

trying to fabricate an air bag system to work with a shackle flip and be removalbe/not get in the way. is possible, but a lot fo work.

another option is air bags as a suspension. linked with coil overs and airbags as backup springs or just full out air bags and some good high quazlity shocks. if it is to be a DD and tow rig i would stick with the springs.

i would go with an ORD quick disconnect on the sway bar up front as well. it will make it so when yo do tow you have the extra help. a drop drag link or raised steering arm as well.

thats just how i would do it for a towing burban.
    Grant

4. bigbluesuburban

4" spring front and rear.... that is a good idea.

But here is my problem. The lift manufacturers that I have talked to have told me that their lift springs are NOT load rated. I interpret this to mean that they are not 3/4 ton load rated. I find this odd. But its what I am hearing. Can anyone advice me about a good lift brand for this particular application.

I like the idea of the 4" with the 1" body lift. I am concerned about the 35's clearing but everyone is saying it will so I am gonna go for it.

I am planning on airbags in the rear. What brand does anyone recommend.

And the swaybar disconnects are a great idea.

So any other advice?

Thanks

Lee

5. bigbluesuburban

Can I put 1ton rear lift springs on this truck? Is the width and lengths the same?

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Lift springs are not load rated. The main intention of arched lift springs is to give trucks more clearance for off roading, and not towing. Springs that have a lot of arch to them are not considered an optimal design for towing. Also, lift spring manufactures want to avoid the liability of stating that a spring is rated for a certain load, and then have it fail under conditions it was not designed for. Lifting a truck is considered an "at your own risk" proposition.

When a manufacture list a lift spring part number for a truck, this does not imply that it is load rated for this truck. If you look closley at lift spring manufactures catalougs you will see that the same lift spring part number that is used for a 1985 Chevrolet 1/2-ton truck, is the same part number that is used for a 1985 Chevrolet 1-ton truck. The only differences there are in lift springs is there are several manufactures that list lifted springs as a "soft ride" spring, and a "heavy duty" spring. If you intend on doing a lot of towing, then you should look into getting a heavy duty set of lift springs, but when you are not towing, the ride will be harsh.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yes lee one tons and the burbs 3/4 tons are the same length.