Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to get 8" Lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Hey was just looking up the wishlist and was wondering how you guys think that i should go for the 8" lift that i have decided on. I have a 89 Chevy Blazer rebuilt 350TBI 700R4 NP241 10bolts with an auburn posi in the rear. Now i like the idea of about a 37" tire probaly bfg mud terrains. I defenatly would rather not have blocks in the rear and am not to sure about body lifts. I also DD this truck and do alot of 4x4in in spare time, including hunting. Now i also have seen the shackle flip kits available for our trucks and dont mind the idea and like how it would probaly help with the rear driveshaft angle by pointing the pionion upwards. As for my springs i figured a all spring 8" BDS or pro comp lift would work along with the controlable rancho shocks that they have now with the control in the cab instead of on the shock body. Does this sound good so far?? would i need a new driveshaft? or could it be lengthened?
    eventually i see the truck with a 14 bolt in the rear also and custom made 4x4 bumpers front and rear with a receiver mounted warn winch.:bow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That is a lot of lift for that small of a tire. If I were you, I would do a 6" TC spring in front, shackleflip the rear with the ORD one and get their extended shackle, and a 2" spring. You could also add in a zerorate front and rear if you needed the extra inch.
    BTW I am running a 4" TC spring and a zero rate, in the front, for a 40" tire. I may go to a 6" spring, if I HAVE to.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

8" is alot of lift for a 37" tire. I would go 4" and fender trimming. Maybe add a Zero-Rate to lessen the amount of trimming if you care about your fenders that much. 8" is for 40"+ tires. I like the BFG M/T. But for 8" lift I would go 8" springs front and probly 4" rear springs and a shackle flip. If just doing 4" (much better ride and flex) I would suggest 4" front springs from say Superlift or BDS (my rough country's are a bit stiff) and if you have good rear springs just do a shackle flip. If they are tired some new rear springs. Also when you start lifting up to say 8"s your gonna want to look into crossover steering and the such. Many people here are running 40's with about 4-5" lift.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am pretty sure that no company makes an 'all spring' 8" lift. If you read the small print details of the contents of every companies lift kit, most of their 8" lifts come with an 8" spring in the front, but have a 6" spring in the rear with a 2" block. A 4" shackle flip with a 4" rear spring, and 8" springs in the front would be a good way to go. I think an 8" lift with 37" tires would look OK, if you are going for the "Mall Cruiser" look, but if you don't want to go wheeling with a truck that handles like a PO-GO stick, the setup that the other guys mentioned would be the best solution. I also think thay 37" tires are a too much tire for a truck with 1/2 ton running gear, but it can be done if you really want to. I would recomend 33" tires with a 4" lift (or less) for your truck because of the current running gear you have.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Skyjacker lists an 8" kit with 8" rear springs. Kit # C180AKS. They have others with blocks or add-a-leaf. I dont like it that high because of easier to roll over being so top heavy. And definatelly upgrade those axles. I blew up a 12 bolt with 35's.

6. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

6 in will fit a 37 with no/minimul trimming

but for an 8 i would go with shackle flip in the rear and a 4 in spring

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got BDS 8" springs front and rear. wish i had done 4" springs and shackle flip in rear. very pleased with BDS frotn shaft will work, but splines show, also hits y-pipe. rear shaft works when lengthened, but gives vibes. mine is a dd as well.

check out bigcountryx, hes got a sweet k5 8" lift and 39.5's

8. 1-ton

BDS has a picture of their 8" suspension kit, and it looks like it has some blocks to me.

9. muddybuddy

no sir, aint no blocks on my rig :-)

10. TBair

TBair Registered Member

i also made the mistake of getting the 8" lift springs for the rear of my K10, i have no axle wrap at all but i also have no flex what so ever. on top of the the ride is horrible, it will bust your kidneys. if i could do it over id go shackle flip with a 2" spring and 4" blocks and some kind of 4 link or trac bars.

11. muddybuddy

haha funny u should say it bust ur kidneys, i had kidney surgery last month hahahahah

12. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i hae 8" rear springs too, i believe that they are superlifts.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

How do you figure? I had 9" with no trimming and my 35's still mashed the fenders.

How about this:

Front = 6" springs, extended shackles, 1" zero-rate

Rear = 4" spring, shackle flip from www.diy4x.com, and a zero-rate if needed

1" body lift if you need just a little more

The front 6" springs will ride/flex better than 8" springs, you will need extended shackles so the springs don't hit the frame, and the zero-rate will give an inch of lift and move the axle forward some if you need to.

:D

14. TBair

TBair Registered Member

i beleive 6"/37s if you leave the sway bar in the front. buddy of mine runs 7"/38s and hasnt mashed his fenders. i took my sway bar out and 35s mashed mine all to hell.

15. 1-ton

This is close to the setup I am putting together for one of my 1-ton trucks right now (except I am going to use stock springs in the rear with a 3" block).

My Truck

Front = 6" springs, extended shackles

Rear = stock spring, shackle flip, and a 3" block

1" body lift

I am thinking of going with a set of 36/14.50/16 tires with this lift..going for the Mall Cruiser look.

16. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I have 8 inch front springs with the shackleflip/4 inch block combo on the rear and my 35s mash the front fenders. Looks okay how it is and contrary to most, it really isn't THAT top heavy. Look at all the Superduties running around with 20 inch lifts and no problems, I think that our trucks can handle 8 inch lifts. One thing I regret is buying Superlift springs, they are stiff as hell, saggy and just suck. I am switching to BDS next winter. Just my opinion though, I am not a hardcore crawler.

17. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i am doing a similar set up...
    the best thing i came up with is:
    front = 6" spring + 1" zero rate + 1" extended shackles = 8"
    rear= 4" shackle flip, 3" spring, 1" zerorate = 8"

it all depends on how you want it to sit though, give or take an inch in the rear depending if you want it level, 'prerunned' or stinkbugged.

37s will be fine, but you could fit 38s with a true 8" lift over stock.

18. muddybuddy

if u want flexy 8" lift, do 4" lift 52's in front, shackle flip and 4" lift 56's in rear