Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to go Get a vehicle??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'm buyin Daleearnhardt01's blazer from him. I've got the money in hand, and he's holdin the blazer for me. The problem is he is in virginia, and I'm in Tennessee. I cant find a way to get there to get it. I've qouted some car haulers, and the cheapest price i can find is 400.00

I even thought about greyhound, but the only route that have close to me would put me up there at 830 at nite. So i would be driving a "strange" vehicle 300 miles back home in foriegn territory, thats a last resort.

Any Ideas??

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would get a couple of friends, a box of tools and just go get it. I've done it a couple of times. Bought my Burb in Dallas (7 hours away). Makes for a fun road trip. Just recruit some friends, drive one of their vehicles and buy them the gas. No more expensive that car haulers or tickets.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Greyhound/motel.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Uhaul trailer, friend's trailer, Friend's truck and trailer. Have friend drive you up there..

John

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

That is the best way. 300 miles is nothing. We have towed rigs on straps damn near that far!!!!:grin:

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Road Trip!!!!!!!

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I second the road trip, i flew up to WA got my 73 and drove it home all in one day, was a pretty cool adventure:D

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

300 miles is nothing. That's a normal, halfway quiet patrol shift for me.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wow so you advrage over 300 miles a shift?

holy crap thats alot of driving, never knew it was that much no wonder you guys are grumpy when you pull people over:D

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I was in a car that much, I would gain 100 lbs. I don't know how you guys do it. I actually have an Impala 9C1 (the newer one) that I drive for business and the drivers seat is comfortable, but I still don't see how you do it.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I average around 300 a night. Anywhere from 900-1000 a week. 40-50 gallons of gas a week. My patrol area is just over 1000 square miles; I have half the county. Granted, I'm in a Crown Vic and there's not many dirt roads I venture down, but we still have enough pavement to keep me happy. Can't say that about the guys on the other side of the county. So far this week, I haven't hit 300 miles on a shift yet, but it's either been because of weather or like last night, I was going from call to call for most of the shift. Thing is though all my calls last night, I had to drive around 20 miles a piece for each one, so I racked up miles pretty fast.

I'm actually happy when I stop someone because on most nights, I can drive for an hour or two straight without seeing another vehicle and since I'm the department sh*t magnet, more traffic stops for me equals higher possibility of finding someone who deserves a stay at my "house."

Unfortunately, the well this year has been drier than a popcorn fart for me. I average around 2 arrests a month from my patrol activities. That doesn't include the warrant pickups that I make occassionaly. Yes, there's not a lot going on out here. So far this year, I'm still sitting at zero arrests from patrol. I've had 4 chances, but I've turned them all down for various reasons. One, I let a trooper take cause the situation demanded someone who knew what they were doing and I was somewhat clueless; not to mention I was buried under an avalanche of crime reports. Plus, it is always a good thing to inflate a trooper's ego without actually whoring yourself out. :D Two others, it would have been more pain for everyone involved than what it was worth. Our jail is filled up, violations were minor traffic ones, even though they are arrestable offenses, I only take these in if there is some other circumstances that might tell me they need to go to jail, like the guy that almost hit my patrol car on Xmas Eve. And the last one was a possible DUI that I had last night, but he was straight up borderline, so I ended up giving him a ride home.

Where I'm at, it's not like LA where most everyone out after bedtime is a cop or a scumbag. Due to the industries in the area, there's a lot of hard working, decent people out at all hours and the few scumbags that are out, I'm in such a remote and huge area that it takes a lot of luck for us to run across them. I have to manage my time wisely and weigh every situation thoroughly.

After a couple of weeks, the seat foam is nice and formed. I can't stand working in a vehicle that isn't mine. It sucks. I usually only though spend maybe 2 hours at the most before I have to stop to water the tires or get gas. Some nights, I'll go hang out with one of the local PD guys for awhile. But on the nights when it's only us county guys out, the night can drag forever. If I'm not seeing anyone out in the county, I'll jump on the highway for awhile to see what I can get. On weekends, I usually head to the county seat a few hours before end of shift and troll around the bars. Since I've put XM in my patrol car, the nights seem to go by faster since I'm not cussing the 4-5 radio stations that I would actually listen to before.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Humm ya know i thought about becoming a cop, but im not shure that i wouls enjoy it, i think i would rather be a game warden, or a park ranger

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Look at this picture and tell me you wouldn't enjoy it? :D
    [​IMG]

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wasent that brand new a cupple of months ago?:D

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Took delivery in June I believe. I got it in July and it was on patrol when I got back from school in August. It had about 900 miles when we started. It now has over 23,000 miles on it. Had to get the fuel sender replaced and the R/F wheel became the spare after I hit a curb during the infamous Thanksgiving Morning pursuit. About a month before that, I ran over a piece of exhaust pipe on the highway and impaled it into the rear plastic bumper. I've killed about 10 birds and that many rabbits with it. Almost hit a deer about a month ago and I spun it out in a parking lot during my last pursuit right before Christmas. I also took it off into a ditch and ran over a huge rock with it. :D

All in a day's work for a deputy sheriff. :D

16. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Chee............cheee...........cheee!

Hot pursuit!
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Really do respect ya'll though! Takes alot of guts and drive (no pun intended) to do ya'll's job! By ya a beer one day!

17. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Forgot the post question.....oops.

If ye'r coming by on I-40 stop and rest here or if ya have trouble gives us a call.

18. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I rented a truck from triangle truck rentals (truck had tow package), and with a borrowd dolly I drove 600 miles to pickup my 71 K20. Went from SE VA to southern Ohio. Cost me about $300 total. Took my son(9yrs old) with me, he had a blast.

19. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Hear that brother! :saweet:

20. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Rent a car. I went to www.orbitz.com and entered a start of Knoxville, TN and a end of Richmond, VA. National Car Rental had the best rate.

Buick Regal (or similar)
    Automatic Transmission
    Air Conditioning
    $57/day
    total $70

Alamo was a close second. Smaller cars are alittle less money.