Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to hook two yanks straps?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, May 23, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just came back from a day of mudding. wondering what the safest and most preferred method is of hooking two straps together.im getting tired of guys pinching my strap. i know you shouldnt use a clevis, i was thinking of maybe using a peice of wood, maybe 2x3x1.5ft interlocking both eyelets, instead of choking one eyelet into another. is this a good way to do it? is their another way?

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of maybe using a peice of wood, maybe 2x3x1.5ft interlocking both eyelets, instead of choking one eyelet into another.
    ??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

A clevis would be way better than friggin wood

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I agree , don't fool around with with rigging that is put under alot of stress
    You could end up with lot's of damage or worse /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

RJ, you crack me up /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I don't get the idea of using wood though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd use the loop method or a 1" clevis and put blankets 4' either side of the clevis.

I wouldn't use wood. Or else that piece of wood might be needed to build a pine box to plant you 6' under inside.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how many disposable blankets do you carry in your truck?

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Last time I didn't use a clevis to hook straps together I almost got me and the friend I was pulling out killed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

DON'T DO IT WITHOUT THE PROPER EQUIPMENT AND/OR KNOWLEDGE

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have a cotton bale sized package of old wool army blankets, good for nto getting all muddy when lying on the ground under a truck and whatnot

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I carry an actual "winch weight" which is a leather pouch filled with sand that uses snaps to hold it on the winch line. It looks kind of like a pair of saddle bags. Then I carry a thin chamois-like blanket that is heavy for working under the hood of my truck so I can lay it against the fender and not get all muddy. I use a 11mm thick piece of corrugated plastic used for screen printing when working under my truck.

11. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

have you ever put a tire between two straps? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    yeah yeah, it's honky, but when in rome....

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's see if I can explain this... Lay your straps out side by side, as shown below. (Ignore the long strings of periods. The forum software strips out "extra" spaces, so I had to put something in to keep the spacing correct).

Slip loop "A" through loop "C" and slip loop "D" through loop "B". Now pull on loops "A" and "D". Loops "C" and "B" will slide along the adjacent strap until they meet in the center of the two joined straps. At this point they will interlock with each other. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Now you have a longer strap, with no deadly projectile stuffed into the middle of it. It's also easier to get the two straps apart after the pull. Other methods will usually get you a knot that requires a lot of swearing and effort to get back apart after having been pulled tight by a couple of 6,000 lb trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

.. ____.......................................____
    . |____>--------------------------<____|
    ...A........................................B
    .. ____ ........................................____
    . |____>--------------------------<____|
    ...C........................................D

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(Well, it seems that the "picture" will change, depending on the font used by your particular viewing scheme. Don't ya just love computers?) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i guess i wasnt very clear on how to use the wood,so ill use HarryH3's picture.

1: hook loop A to the truck thats stuck, loop D to the pulling truck, then slip loop B thru loop C.

2: slide wood thru loop B and pull tight.you need atleast a foot long piece so loop B cant pull back thru loop C. this way the straps wont pinch each other. the strap will take most of the stress, and the force needed to break a 2x4 like this is quite a bit.

i've used this method when pulling loads out of trucks, but never when extracting a truck. the reason i think this is better than a clevis is because if something breaks i'd rather have a small piece of wood to worry about instead of a 10 pound chunk of steel.

i like harry's idea better though, if it makes it possible to separate the two straps then it would be better than using wood or metal. i'll give it a try next time i go out. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the wood sounds perfectly safe. it should just compress. not to be snotty, but the easiest way is to use a longer strap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When you mentioned wood I thought the way you ment was to tie a knot but w/ a piece of wood in the center of the knot. That is susposed to keep the knot from becoming too tight. Harry's way sounds the better,and its what I will try next time I need to join two straps and need the full legenth. If you can get away w/ loosing 1/2 the legenth on one, just slide strap #1 through one end of strap #2. Hook both ends of strap #1 to one truck and the free end of strap #2 to the other.

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not to be snotty, but the easiest way is to use a longer strap

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, good idea. i never thought of that (not) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just kidding.

problem is sometimes you cant get within 60-80ft of the stuck rig if its deep in the mud, so unless you have a 100ft strap your gonna have to connect two.

im gonna try harry's figure eight next time and see how easy it is to get apart.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can get away w/ loosing 1/2 the legenth on one, just slide strap #1 through one end of strap #2. Hook both ends of strap #1 to one truck and the free end of strap #2 to the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like using that method if you can spare the length, but it seems like i always need every inch.

does anyone know where is a good place to get a heavy strap? the one ive got is from 4wpw. its a 3"x30 that was around 60 out the door. i'd like to get another one, 4" wide and possibly longer, maybe 40ft. i'd also like to get a no name brand, the ones at 4wpw are pro comp and i think they tack on extra $ causs its got thier name stamped on it.

17. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Hooking straps together with a clevis can be perfectly safe if done correctly. You want the clevis to be on the ground with no slack in the first strap. As long as you are using straps and a clevis that is rated properly there should be no chance of anything going wrong.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out these beastly straps! http://www.ultimate4wheeldriveperformance.com/recovery.htm I won one of their double 3-inch straps straps in a raffle. It is HEAVY DUTY!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif It's rated at58,800 lbs! If that isn't enough for ya, their double 4-inch strap is rated at 78,400 lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hooking straps together with a clevis can be perfectly safe if done correctly. You want the clevis to be on the ground with no slack in the first strap.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont understand what you mean, you mean have the clevis on the ground til you pull? even if you have properly rated equipment bad things can still happen. tow hooks for instance could rip off, especially if its a strangers truck. the bolts could be stressed and waiting to snap.
    and if it snaps off his truck, guess where that clevis is going?
    it might be alot safer to use a clevis correctly, but i wouldnt say its perfectly safe and no chance of anything going wrong

20. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

whoa, i think i found my next strap, those are nice. and a good price too. what do you think about that magnum 9000 winch thats for sale below it? $549 is a great deal. that should be strong enough for a 1/2 ton blazer huh?