Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to lift a 98 chevy 1/2 ton pickup.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by patrickcampbell, Sep 17, 2003.

1. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

I am looking to lifting my 98 silverado truck and am wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which way to go, and which kits are the best for this year truck. PICS are always great

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

do yourself a giant favor (no I am not kidding) and do the SFA swap. get yourself a D60 and swap it in in place of the IFS frontend. That will be the single biggest/best improvement you can make. I have seen a fair number of them done around here locally... I know I seriously considered doing it to my 1999 silverado SWB but got myself a 1st gen instead... and have spent roughly 30x what the SFA conversion would have cost. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Is it a 2 or 4wd truck?

4. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

It is a 4 wheel drive 5.7 liter, and is that much of a project or is it worth it with the solid axle swap.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Solid axle swaps are totally trick and really do help offroad but....... You need good mechanical/fabricating skills to do something like that plus all the down time. You didn't say how big you want to go but I will go with the average. All the manufacturers make a decent lift for your truck but only go to about 6" max. Fabtech made a big deal about their 8" kit but their kits sag anyway. RCD makes a very good lift that is adjustible(6-8"). For the big lifts I like fullthrottle and Whiplash suspension systems, They look great and are made well. I know a guy that has a 01' HD with a whiplash 10" on the same tires/wheels that I have(35x16boggers,16.5x14welds) and it looks great. These 3 manufacturers carry plent of accessories like chrome parts,traction bars, driveshafts, and shock kits.

--------------------
    85K5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif