Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to lift my beauty queen?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Jun 18, 2003.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok...

I want 2-3" of lift for my blazer. I'm getting rid of my off-road blazer, and this one is going to be service double duty. the only place I ever really enjoyed my off-road one is in the mountains.

been thinking, if I can, just putting 2 zero rats from ORD on front & rear to get the lift I want. can I run 2 zero's on the front, or am I limited to 1 for safety?

well, in the summertime I spend a lot of time, and the k5 see's a ton of old rough mountain roads. however, it also see's a lot of pavement.

I want to give this thing some more suspenion travel, and a bit more height. however, I don't really want to sacrifice the on-road ride too much. this thing has been worked over pretty good, and it rides extrememly well on the pavement.

this thing is going to be getting some careful mt. use, a lot of it, but I'll just have to take things slower and easier then I do with my other one.

can I do 2 zero rates on front? I know I can on rear. also, what suspenions are more tuned to street drive, or combination then more off-road?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Run a 2" lift from Tuff country for a really soft ride. You can use blocks in the rear since it is only 2"s. I have a 2.5" lift from Rancho on mine (springs in front, blocks in rear) and it rides great. I have RS5000s all the way around. I have had a 4" Rancho lift before with RS5000s and it rode stiff, but the 2.5" lift is smooth.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

running a zerorate in the from ok, but I wouldn't think trail riding in the mountains on factory springs with stacked blocks would be the best of rides or the safest.
    Tuff country has a 2,3, or 4 inch kit relatively inexpensive and if you buy the kit you can get all the hardware (and for a little more the shocks). I'm thinking of running the 3" kit on my DD (front and rear springs). Should be about $600 for all four springs and hardware (plus shipping). I'm guessing for a DD, all the brake lines and everything will be long enough /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I have to wait to lift it though because I need to regear before I get new tires (tires $8-900, and regearing if I do it myself $450). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

finding a cheap used 4" front spring thats broke in and some rear blocks should be an easy task and much safter with less headaches /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

you might want to do just one and some longer front shackles

5. solowookie

well, I may do a 2.5" then... try it out. I could always add 1 zero rate without much of a problem I'm sure (if I wanted more).

how much axle hop do I get with 2-3" lift with blocks? is there are spring alternative?

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I would definitely stay away from stacking blocks even if they are zero rates. Your inviting a problem that could cost you big time if you had a failure while on pavement. I am running a modified zero rate type block up front (it's degreed some and centerbolted) and I truly can't wait to get rid of it. I know the general consensus is that it is safe but I want to do it with full springs rather than springs and the block. You're not gonna save yourself much time by doing just the blocks. You still have to drop the axle and get new u-bolts. I'd really recommend you go all springs up front, and then blocks out back or a shackle flip.

7. solowookie

I'm not really worried about saving time... I've worried about the ride.

I called tuff country today, and they said both their 2" and 3" lifts are only rated 10% higher then stock, and ride doesn't change that much. that's something I can live with so I'll probably do a 3" lift, springs front & rear.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For a quality ride, I'd go 3" (BDS or Tuff Country) springs up front, and a ORD 4" Shackle flip in the rear. I wouldn't use any blocks. Remember, K5's tend to sag in the rear becouse of the extra weight verses a pick up.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have the 3" Tuff Country on Donna's K5. I have not had it out on the street yet but playing in the yard it feels much softer then the stock set up. Also when you install it be prepared for it to be fairly tall. I'm sure the springs will settle some but right now it is as tall as my 89 Jimmy was with broken in 4" springs and 3/4" zero rates in the front. Overall I was very pleased with the kit except I should have just ordered the springs since I wound up using all greasable bushings and bolts and the u bolts did me no good with 1 ton axles.

10. solowookie

thanks wayne... my axles are stock, and will probably stay that way. this sees 4x4 use, and ton's of mountain roads, but no usage that really should be too hard on parts.

besides, this is still open. I see no reason for lockers.