Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Way to Lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigslok5, Sep 14, 2003.

1. bigslok5

bigslok5 Registered Member

I have a completly stock 72 k5 that I am wanting to put 37 MT/R's on. Could anyone give their advice on the best way to lift. I'm thinking on a Skyjacker 6" up front and a shakle flip, zero rate add-a-leaf setup in the rear. Maybe a trailmaster up front? I want lots of flex, and I am not afraid to break out the Sawzall!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're not afraid to break out the sawzall, get yourself some 4" Tuff Country EZ-Rides and hack the hell out of the body. 4" is going to flex better than 6".

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6" Superlift superrides, shackle flip out back and the 2" lift rear springs I have now are what I was planning with 37 MT/Rs. I am gonna get probably 36 swampers now though but same setup. I would get Skyjackers(better flex) but I don't want to spend the extra money.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Rough & Ready....Right on dude. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just up the road from ya in Nevada City on Banner Mountain. Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

As for your question, take a look at the Tuff-Country EZ Ride front springs. Ride really nice and flex good too. You've got the right idea for the rear. You can order all this stuff from ORD. ORD also has a forum here. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

One more thing, checkout Nor-Cal Big Dawgs Forum. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

remember to always stretch before you lift. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4" is about optimum for off the shelf flexing.

There are some folks here with some marvels of engineering in terms of flex. eliptical (sp?), springer suspension, echobit 57" rears, custom front springs, extended shackles, ford shock towers.... Lotsa stuff, just depends on your $ and your imagination.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

37" MTR's will be fine as long as you don't mind waiting on them until the first of the year or so. They are backordered...BIGTIME

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah tahts why I'm not getting them

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm I hate when I do this, now I'm thinking 4" superlift and zero rate up front.

9. bigslok5

bigslok5 Registered Member

Isn't the zero rate just a block. Safe up front?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hmm I hate when I do this, now I'm thinking 4" superlift and zero rate up front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw that. Just get 6" springs in that case. You'll always want it bigger, don't throw a zero rate on it just yet.

I personally would not use a zero rate in front, but they're supposedly safe and legal.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, the Zero rates are safe for up front, but I don't think I'd use them there. Something about the thought of a block up front just doesn't do it for me. I'd think BDS or Tuff Country 4" springs up front and a ORD Shackle flip in the rear as long as your stock rear springs are in good condition. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Or 6" springs up front + plus ORD heavy duty shackles (Adds about 1/4 to 1/2 a inch), with 4" ORD shackle flip + 3" lift springs in rear for 7" of lift in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your quite right I always would want bigger. 7" in rear, only thing is will I need to lengthen driveshaft? That will be pushing it on the slip yoke, no?

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

slip yoke+lift+short w/b=vibes

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

how about a 10" superlift with 37's, that would look good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get 5" of lift via 4" EZ rides up front + ORD zero rates and a shack flip in the rear, again with zero rates. then bust out the sawzall. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    how about a 10" superlift with 37's, that would look good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but it'd be tippy.

17. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

forget all that noise... just leave the stock suspension for an ultra smooth ride and do like 14" of body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats gotta be the best way to lift.

(No, I am not serious - Just joking around)

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why not do the 10" suspension and the 14" body lift. That'd be perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think I need a 26" drop brackets and 4" suspension lift with cut out fenders and 4" body lift, and some 42s on a dana 60 without a driveshaft and a 14 bolt full floater.

20. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

GO 4IN AND BUST OUT THE SAWZALL..WHO CARES ABOUT HOW YOU GET THERE JUST GET THERE...KEEP IT SIMLPE..4 IN SPRINGS UP FRONT HOMEMADE FLIP IN THE REAR...

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL
    MAKE DRIVESHAFTS LOOK LIKE PRETZELS SINCE 00