Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to lighten a K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigwishlist, Jan 16, 2003.

1. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

What are some ways to lighten a K5? I want my K5 to be light. Light for a K5 atleast. Im gonna do rear discs to save weight. remove the top and doors for weight. Im thinking of doing a aluminum front fenders and hood. What else can I do to lighten the load? Thanks.
    Also how much does the top to a 74 K5 weigh? And a door to the same K5 weigh.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont remember what company it was but someone makes a K5 body in fiberglass. The write up w/ the pics claims the weight difference in the glass shell equaled out to 2 inches in height. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 81sb

81sb Registered Member

I havent had mine off but I have read that going to a soft top will save about 300lbs, more if you take out the rear glass. That is likely the easiest way to lose a lot of weight.

TB /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If im correct the tops wiegh at the most 300lbs. If you want to lighten up the K5 go with all of the fiberglass body panels you can, take out all of the carpet and insulation, replace the seats with a set of light weight seats like beards or master crafts. You could also take the stereo out, remove the A/C and heater, go with aluminum wheels, run an aluminum transfer case such as a NP241, There are lots of possibilities for wieght removal, you just have to look in odd places.

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I think the top is around 250#.Yes remove the top(250#),the tailgate(100#),the doors(80# each),strip the interior(50#?),no front wheelwells(20#),remove the heater/A/C unit(30-50#),alum intake and headers.You can get around 600# off with ease.I think that's why mine runs good with 39's and 4.10 gears,that and the SM465 tranny.The alum t case will get rid of some weight too.Just start pitching everything you don't need!My latest project is cutting 12" out off the width and 8" off the bed.Fiberglass panels will save some weight,but will sacrifice strength.You would be amazed how much you can take off.The '81 and up front clips are a little lighter.Have fun with a sawzall!!

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Dana 30 axles, drop a 4 banger in there and less gas in the tank

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you want to really lighten up your K5 go to ORD and see what steve did to his. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

has anyone seen the article in the new petersons, a pro-rock 60 with 100# shaved off. check it out. it's amazing. dynatrac has gone insane with this one. fluted heat treated chromoly axletubes, aluminum cover, rifle drilled and lightened 35 spline shafts, wilwood discs (rear axle) and a strange heat treated chromoly spool. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif makes it 33% lighter!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and it looks frickin awesome!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont think anyone else said it, but the back seat is about 50#'s. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Fiberglass panels would be an easy way to fit some bigger tires also. Fiberglass is actually quite strong and i have heard a few stories about it cababilities. Thats in the summer though. In the winter is where strength becomes an issue, thats why u dont drive a vette in the winter.

11. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Lots Of great ideas here now lets move this to the next leval so to start aluminum intake and heads and what to hell if ya got the $$ go to a titanium or alum block with steel sleeves carbon fiber hood and panels alum roll bar and run a alum radiater and a carbon fiber core suppoert now for the fun stuff have a 205 t case built for you out of titanium and while your at it do the axles also ar at least air craft alum with steele sleeves for all bearings parts
    and cut your side panels off from behind the doors down to the floor board then get your F*%&^# fram made out of that new fiber composite that Nascar is using well i am sure you get the idea by now and finnally fill your tires with helium and your k5 will float :-) hehehehe lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Remove what you don't need...
    [​IMG]

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I personally dont think there is any way to lighten a K5 if you plan on doing major modifications. I cut off my doors, took off the hard top, gutted the interior, then installed lighter seats. Cool, it should be close to or slightly under 4000 pounds right? Now add a D60. That fat pig weighs as much as both of the 1/2 ton axles. Its like 650 pounds!!!! Then add the 14FF even with disc brakes its still a huge hunk of steel add 400 pounds for that. Then a stout roll cage 60-70 pounts. A winch is 80 pounds or so.

I just give up....

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the top is right around 200. if it were not so bulky i could easily pick it up myself. and im a skinny lanky SOB.(6'3'' at 170lbs, yeah, im a stick)
    BUT, inner fenders, glass hood, or remove the inner support on the hood, the hinges and pin it down front and rear.
    doors, and tail gate.
    skinny tires.
    and all the AC stuff.
    grant

15. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Dana 30 axles, drop a 4 banger in there and less gas in the tank

[/ QUOTE ]
    Very wise 90K5, but you forgot about Helium in the tires.

16. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

NOW WAIT A COTTON PICKEN MINUTE! That's what bucket seats look like, that guy at Jeg's lied to me. I also like the custom lamps attached to the bed for a natural ambient light source for mood-lighting. [darth vadar voice]impressive[/darth vadar voice]

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

LOL! Those are the "budget" bucket seats from Home Depot... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, the rear is not setting that high after adding the rear fuel tank and the cage...

18. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

BRAVO !!!! there Baddog now that is what ia m talking about !!!!!!
    hey get the plastic cup off the back bumper its messing up your spring rate ratio /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My Blazer used to be over 6100 pounds. I dumped the back seat, Put disks on the rear, went to headers, Put on a soft top and removed all of the guts from the tailgate. That put me down to about 5400 pounds. That was with the doors and the tailgate on. I plan on seeing how heavy it is with those things off next. I've been thinking about fiberglass body panels next. Like the hood and then maybe an aluminum radiator.

20. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

An aluminum engine block out of a new vette would help a lot too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (in more ways than one)