Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to lowering trans. and tcase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Mar 4, 2005.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

what did you guys do when you lowered yours? i have a 8-inch lift ordered and it said something about lowering the tcase.

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Because of the angles yer better off without the tcase drop and going with a good high angle driveshaft instead.

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Lowering the t-case will help the rear drive shaft angle but hurt the front. What t-case do you have in what truck and what do you plan to use it for?

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have the 203 tcase and plan on useing it for anything that gets in my way :p:

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'll be runnin 8" lift with my K20 as of next week and even though its a long bed I'd still run a high angle shaft, you'll have a steeper angle on the front and can use every * possible. Using the lowerin kit will only increase the front shaft angle, even though it's a few degrees every little bit counts. My .02

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

well let me know how yours works out its going be a couple weeks before i get my kit installed . my truck also is a lwb. but as far as the front driveshaft angle goes why do you suggest the highangle shaft? the reason i ask is that the front driveshaft will not be run that much just when i lock the hubs in :confused:

7. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Yeah that is true but that is when you need it most. I only has to bind once to break, steeper angles wear them faster as well which means brekage sooner

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I would definately recommend a good front shaft becuase it sees a higher angle than the rear shaft does becuase the pinion is closer to the tcase, where as the rear has a more gradual slope becusae its a LWB rig.

Even though the front shaft isnt used but part time, when it is used having an incorrectly built driveshaft does no good. I'mnot sayin go buy 2 high angle shafts from jesse at HAD, what I am sayin is that A) If yer gonna run a big lift, spend the $$ for a good shaft for the rear, cuz its always runnin and B) the front has is shorter and has a steeper angle so you dont wanna skimp there either. A stock shaft will bind in certain situations with an 8" lift, cv or not..the parts just arent make to be held at such an angle, hence the need for a "higher angle" shaft.

On another note I do have a buddy here in va who thought he could just re-tube his stock shaft and roll with it,umm no..after his 8" lift it wsa binding and had to replace it. 3 days later he was rockin a high angle shaft and had no issues what so ever.

I just found I wont be able to drive back home and will be shipping my truck so I hafta leave my 4" lift on but I am still buyin a new driveshaft becuase of the 14bff swap, plus I get smokin deals :grin: