Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to make 10 to 12" of lift.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Dec 20, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Best way to make 10 to 12\" of lift.

OK, Hi pinion and I are trying to decide on the best and most economical way to get his blazer up around 11" or so of lift. He wan'ts to run 38" SSR's or maybe my 38" fun countries. We are thinking the easiest route would be just a strait 10" superlift kit or for a little softer ride, 8" BDS springs with a zero rate and extended shackles in the front with 6" springs in the back and a 4" shackle flip. With the extra inch of lift from the D60 and 14bff that would put him at about 11" of lift. That would be enough to clear 38's decently. Any other ideas guys on how to achieve around 11" of lift? Don't worry about driveline angle because he has a sweet custom high pinion D60 and a CV should work fine for the rear.

(please no comments or flaming about needing to hack up fenders, neither one of us consider that an option because this will be a daily driver that sees probably mostly mud and sand... along with looks being an issue.)

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Best way to make 10 to 12\" of lift.

Why not just do a 12" body lift? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

OH NO....not an EBAY disaster /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    OH NO....not an EBAY disaster /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Honestly though, I can tell you if you want to clear them without cutting, you need at least 12", if not closer to 14" of lift. I have 9", as you know, and I didn't even have to flex mine too bad before I had rubbage with 9".

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

well, since i understand that flex is not something you are worried about i would say stick with the 8 inch lift since they will ride better, then i would also add a body lift, and zero rates which would net 12 inches of lift; i have run 8+3 on a chevy mud truck with 39.5 boggers, granted i did get some rubbage a few times, but for general street and mud it was fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I have a friend with a 12" superlift kit on his 3/4 ton big blocked long bed. He's running 40x17 gumbo mudders on 15x14 bart wheels (comparable to a 38" super swamper) and he has rubbed the rear of the front fender driving on the street! Mind you, he has no front driveshaft so this thing has only been street driven for now (there's no t-case either... it started out as a 2wd truck /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) I say get the 12" of lift then nip a little off the front fender and figure out a way to put that wheel opening trim back on so it looks like factory. That's how I'd do it if hacked fenders looked bad to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. fourwheelerjeff

here is a pic of my mud truck:

[​IMG]

it has 8 and 3 and 39.5/18 boggers on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd do the 8" front and rear springs, 1" zero-rates all 4 corners, and 1" body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I say custom springs with the front axle moved forward an inch or two to keep the front tires out of the firewall and to relieve some of that horrible front driveline angle.

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I say custom springs with the front axle moved forward an inch or two to keep the front tires out of the firewall and to relieve some of that horrible front driveline angle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like I said, he has a front hi pinion D60 so driveline angle will be no prob.

11. rjfguitar

Wow, so you guys are thinking at least 12". I was afraid of getting flamed terribly if I said more than 11" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Maybe we will go with the 10", 3" body(I could raise his bumpers) and plus 1" from the axles. 14" should look good and provide enough room. Articulation isn't much of a concern because this truck won't see any serious crawling or anything.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    here is a pic of my mud truck:

[​IMG]

it has 8 and 3 and 39.5/18 boggers on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'm loving your 2 trucks man. Your long bed looks sweet!... with the boggers, mickey tomphsons, an clean fenders. I like the wide tires and wheels on the blazer too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Man that long bed truck is giving me a woody ! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

As far as my experience goes - most folks around here , that run deep mud and drive on the street , like the all spring lift at each corner. I like the suggestion of 8" springs / zero rates / and a small 1" B/L .

Once again - FourWheeler Jeff - I like that truck ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Tom

14. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm loving your 2 trucks man. Your long bed looks sweet!... with the boggers, mickey tomphsons, an clean fenders. I like the wide tires and wheels on the blazer too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Man that long bed truck is giving me a woody !
    Once again - FourWheeler Jeff - I like that truck !
    Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks guys, that truck is parked at fulltopblazer's place right now and that is his blazer in the picture, he actually has the boggers on his truck right now and mine is sitting on some 235's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif with a busted rear end, i am either going to put some one tons under it or put the body on the m1028 frame /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ok,im going to have to trim those fenders i guess, a little, cause there (aint) no way im going 12!!!i will do a lot of wheelin everychance i get in the morning in the evening(right aroud supper time) and dont want this thing too be too top heavy!!!NOT STABLE!!!i will take my son Jeremy in this thing ,i dont want anyone to get hurt!! so well stick with the 10 if theres any possible way to just trim a little!!! Thanks everyone for the info.Shots out to rjfguitar for making this thread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Time to pick some brains in here rjf keep going...YT HP

16. rjfguitar

OK, I guess you can take it to a body guy and he could cut and roll the fenders out and make it look pretty stock. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Whats wrong with 12"? you would be fine, it's not that tall.
    Take a close look at my truck Hi pinion because I have about 10" of lift and imagine what it would look like with 38's, I think it would be a little close turning, maybe not though.

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

hey rjf ,go and measure real quick with a tape, and tell me how much room you have to spare(when you get a chance),Really? 12 would be ok?i just dont want an unstable truck ya know?oh and turn on your phone!!ive just heard from some of these guys, anything above 10 is unstable!! TO EVERYONE=THANKS FOR HELPING ME COMPLETE MY SONS 16th BIRTHDAY GIFT!!Keep talking, were listening!!!YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

18. rjfguitar

I will go and measure in a minute. I think 12" would be ok, but don't get me wrong it's not going to be a canyon carver or anything but I have had to make some pretty scary moves in bad traffic in my truck before and it's ok. I wouldn't go with a soft spring because stiffer springs, sway bar(very important) and good shocks should control body roll.

Update: can't find a tape but it looks to be about 5 to 6 inches of space from the bottom of both corners in the front fender. I could run 38's but it would be a little tight.

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

What do you guys think about the original plan at the top of the page?Pros?Cons? Yt HP

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you guys think about the original plan at the top of the page?Pros?Cons? Yt HP

[/ QUOTE ]

10" is not enough. Mine rubbed just hitting a bump before I trimmed and I run 10" wide wheels. I know that you're going to run super wide wheels and that, so consider 12" to be a bare minimum.