Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to "Mark" Hand tools?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by dbreid, Feb 18, 2007.

1. dbreid

dbreid 1/2 ton status

I am sure many other people have the problem I am facing, but I figured I'd post here to see what you all use as a solution....

I have TONS of hand tools. I work on vehicles of all sorts (Metric, Standard, etc), and as a result have wound up with many sets of tools, mostly overlapping. For example, I work on VW's a lot, and I would guess I probably have 20 13mm sockets.

I have attempted several times to make tool "kits" for each of my vehicles. You know, just put in all the tools that are actually used for the vehicle... etc.

However, every time I do this, I eventually wind up "mixing" the tools, and then I forget where they all go, and I have to re-sort everything.

I'd like to "paint" or "mark" each tool set so that I can easily sort them out. Is there some sort of paint that will adhere to Chrome tools? Should I use electrical tape in different colors? What do others do in this situation?

Thanks, Dan

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use an engraver.

I guess I don't follow too well. I have two sets of tools.... my main set in my shop box that stays in my shop, and my tools that are in my K30 service truck. Both sets have everything I basically could need to work on anything I have. When I need to work on something, either set does everything.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The road crews with the detail company used to have differnet colors for van setups.. red, blue, etc... standard krylon will hold up for quite some time.. for cheaper stuff, why not... we used to just paint 1/2 the tool...

4. dbreid

dbreid 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was planning on painting stripes on the "Suburban" set, and then Stripes on the "Jetta" set, etc. I'll try the Krylon. :)

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, we would just make a pass with krylon...

another thing that would probably work good would be a couple different color paint pens.. nice mark on a non wear area...

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

paint pens work well... so does an engraver...

7. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Lift your leg... :haha::haha:

seriously, x2 on the krylon if you're like me and have no patience to engrave everything. Obviously engraving is the best solution but krylon is convienent and easy. Especially if you decide to change things up down the road.

8. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I painted my stuff with the safety orange spray paint to keep them from getting lost on the trail/dirtbike track. Looking back though I wish I would have painted my standard and metric stuff different colors.

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yep, paint. Cheap, easy, fast.

10. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I engrave my initials in all of my tools. It's the best (and most permanent) way to mark your tools in my opinion.

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

all my tools have some sort of neon green paint on them somewhere, that way i know my tools from all my friends tools. Plus, who has neon green paint that they regularly use. This works for extention cords as well, being in a rental business, customers always try to say hey, thats my cord, i usually show them the neon green cord caps that way there is no arguement.