Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to mount Heims on 4-link

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Oct 6, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I decided to go with bushings at the axles and Heims at the frame, but I am curious as to how everyone is monting them. They will be in the double shear configuration, but do I need to mount washers between the heim and the tab?? i.e. tab[washer[heim]washer]tab with the bolt running through it all. Or just having the tab mount next to the heim. How much "slop" should there be between the heim and the tabs?? Should it be tight or be able to "move" a little side-to-side on the bolt.

I know these are prolly simple questions, but when I am underneath the truck mounting it, I start splittin' hairs.

BTW- these are regular 3/4 by 5/8 heims (NOT HIGH-MISALIGNMENT)

Thanks guys....Rob

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'm no heim expert, but you sure as hell don't want any slop in there. I would have to assume that you would use misalignment washers with them.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

With bushings one the other side your heims are going to take all the misalignment for the link. I would think you would need to use the misalignment spacers as well. At the minimum you will need to run at least one thick washer on each side. Good washers to use are "AN" thick washers because they have a smaller OD as well as having a tighter fit on the ID. Another option would be to weld in a one size smaller standard washer and drill it out to the correct size. This is hard to do without a TIG welder though, but if you can do it it works well. Some people just don't tighten the jamb nut. I think that is a really bad idea!

If I was going to run bushings I would use ford radius arm bushings (the small rear ones) at the axle to handle all the misalignment you need and regular bushings at the frame (to handle all the droop).

Whatever you do keep the vertical seperation high to keep the loads down in the bushings.

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Maybe if I dont know how to bolt on the Heims, I shouldnt be designing a 4-link!! Believe me, I have searched HUNDREDS of Pics to see how everybody else is doing it, and came up with nothin.

Thanks, guys. Simple things dont seem so "Simple" sometimes.

Rob

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

out of curosity---why are you using 3/4 heims--just my $.02 (which is actually worth $.00125) I would use 1 1/4 w/ 1" shank. my reasoning is big truck, big links, big axle, big tires----well---big heims.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you should find some missalingment bushings. it will help them rotate a bit. they can be tapered a bit, or just sleves. this way you can get full twist out of the heims.
    they should also be tight.
    Grant

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im with scooby... 3/4" heims are for jeeps. You have a fullsize... you need some of these...

[​IMG]

j

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Holy shi*! What do those cost?

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

those are like stupid big. what 1.75 inch?
    i think 5/8ths top links and 1.25 lower links is about what i have seen in the rear of mosr full size rigs. maybe my eye meausrements are off. i would feel safe with the one in the picture, thats for sure. and a 14 bolt could use them as ramps.
    Grant

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats the heim that whiteknight runs.. AFAIK it takes a 1" bolt and has a 1.25" shank.

j