Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to mount spare tire/parts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey guys.. so I am finally gonna put on my rear bumper and tire carrier..

My question is, to carry extra parts with me, Should I find a spare axle parts and stuff, and mount that to the carrier, then the tire on that? I mean, Im pretty flexible at this point, no holes have been drilled yet!!

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I was pondering the same thing a few days ago and had this idea that I would drill a hole in each end of the rear bumper (depending on what it looks like) and insert spare axles into each end. The axles could be bolted to the ends of the bumper (Assuming 1/2 ton axles like mine). Perhaps a piece of pipe inside the bumper to keep the axles clean. Just an idea.

Let me know what you come up with. Send pictures.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Acutally, I saw something really cool on another website today.
    the guy shoved two relatively narrow (about 6") but wide (about afoot) Ammo boxes and used them for storage. Now my bumper and swing away tire carrier is made from 2" square tubing, so it gives me the liberty of bolting these items on, behind the spare tire. That should leaves plenty of room for my spare tire, my jerry can, and now all my miscilaneous tools and equipment I carry can be kept on that!!! Secure, clean, and leaves me all my free space inside the truck!

Life will be good. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif