Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to move frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I originally planned to lift it with the engine hoist and have a friend and I balance each end, then have someone push it to the shop. But now we have 5" of snow, so it's not possible to use the engine hoist.
    How can I move the frame into the shop? I think someone mentioned it weighed around 300 poounds. I want to move it soon so I can gett hat out of my hair, and spend some moola on POR-15.
    Any ideas?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2 guys and some muscle... i dragged mine around the yard by myself quite a bit...

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

do you have a come-a-long yet?

stick that on the frame with or without wheels and crank away.

or if you dont. tie chain or good size rope to the fron of the frame and put it through a loop in side your shop appasit to the door, run it back out side and tie the rope to your other truck car or your lawn tractor and pull backwards it will pull in.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i moved my longbed frame around by my self. it was heavy and hard work, but i did it. a come-a-long is probably your best bet.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bare K5 frame?

My dad and I carried mine around the yard when I was assembling mine. Actually had a steering box and tank on it, but that doesn't add too much.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks, I will see if I can get a friend over and move it into the shop. It's the bare frame, except for motor mounts, brake/fuel lines, and crossmembers!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My wife and I managed to get a K5 frame off of the garage floor and onto a trailer. :laugh: The total trailer load was 380 lbs.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it is not that heavy

push it, it will move, unless theres really that much snow,

i weighed a bare longbed frame once and it came up to hair over 200lbs with crossmembers too

good luck

9. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

well u sed there was 5 inches of snow right? lift it up and put some sleds under it and just pull it :D

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we ued a winch/boom set up to put a truck together from the frame up,breaks, steering, suspesion, axels, cab, motor, tranny, t-case ect in about a week with just a few hours a day. And this truck was a rust bucket, no easy bolts here :(

works great for installing axels too....hehe

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

you got a hi-lift jack? if so you can get under one end (side furthest from where u wanna go towards) and jack it up a little at an angle (towards where u wanna go) it works great.

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd go buy a bunch of those plastic tobogans. The long narrow types and put them underneath it. Then you just slide it over that snow. If its only 300-400 lbs. couple sleds out to do nicely.

Edie: if you do it this way I want to see pics!

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wheel it!

I've moved bare frames by bolting some wheels onto the frame using the stock holes in it--or a hand truck laid under a crossmember,and pick it up like a wheelbarrow.. If its snowy and small tires sink in,you can drag it with a riding mower and a peice of plywood for a "toboggan"--I use my yard-man rider for a lot more than mowing!--its a wrecker,dragger,pusher,and step saver when your working 300 ft from the garage..you'd be suprised how much weight you can pull with a riding mower--mine is a 20 hp hydrostatic,and will tow my truck on bare asphalt!--even some of the wimpy 10hp ones I've had will skid a 40ft 6-8 inch tree out of the woods!!...I try not to lift or drag or push anything by hand anymore--too much risk of back injury....:crazy:

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have 2 plastic snow sleds I've had since I was 10 I could use, If it doesn't work its just a pile of plastic I have to clean up. My ride on lawnmower isn't working, so I will probably pull the Jimmy out and try to pull that with the frame on the sleighs. Then question is, how do I get it out of the carport. I have a hand truck I could use, like someone suggested.
    We'll see...

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a high-lift jack.... but it's quite a few years old. I don't know if it's broken, or if it's just wearing out. But it doesn't work very well. I almost tipped the frame over using it a week ago because I couldn't get it to go down again.
    That will be my last resort.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That would be a nice way to do it. Is that a rental, or does your family own it? LOL I don't have one, so it's a no go:grin:

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well I never got a chance to tackle it today, but maybe tomorrow I will do it.