Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to paint axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 10, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

ok... what have you guy's found works the best to clean the axles prior to painting... should I just use spray paint?

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

On my 2wheel project I used a 6" stiff wire wheel on 5" portable hand grinder. It kicked butt.You can use spray paint but doesn't seam to hold up as well as the mixed stuff.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just take a wire brush to the area to be painted, then get some high temp black spray paint, and spray. Let it dry between coats. It has worked well for me so far.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just make sure you get all the loose chunks of crud off and that the axle is clean of any oil/grease.

I remember a post a while back where a few guys recommended Satin Black Rustoleum. Somebody else said that they had used Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy with good results.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Yes adding to this. first I hit the area with engine foamy degreaser real well. Let it sit and presuusre it off. Then those tough spots I use brake cleaner. BYE BYE dirt with this stuff. then. I take tide or dawn and take a truck brush and wash the axle. then apply some blaxk primer once its dried and then black gloss engine enamel paint or some other color. engine enamel doesnt flake off so easily at all. I also think rustoleum makes some really nice spray paint that is grease resistant with rust inhibitors

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>

6. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

Nice thing about just spraying with a can-o-spray paint , is anytime you want to touch it up, you just buy another can for $3

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Before installing my D60/14B I used a sand blaster. The wire bursh etc. will work fine, but there are some places they just can't reach that the blaster will. I did use a primer right after blasting and then spray cans. However, I must say this seems a little insane as I look out in the driveway and see a Jimmy that has every square in covered in mud and dirt. I just know that under all that mess are a couple of very nice looking axles.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great ideas. I add one more............our good friend Scottie (RIP), who did my D60 rebuild, taught me to use a blowtorch to burn off any residual moisture from the bare metal just prior to painting..........makes it stick the best. Just hit it briefly and 'walk' the moisture out to the end. You can see the moisture leaving..............try it some time on ANY metal painting project [​IMG]

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Funny you mention that- When we weld steel pipe togther(or fitting directly onto the pipe), the helper always heats up the pipe with an acetylene torch to "dry" it out before the welder gets to work.

The only thing I'm wondering about is that this procedure is only done during cold weather or on recenltly exposed pipe. I'm not sure that it's required on pipe that's been sitting outside on a warm day, for example.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>