Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to remove grease from axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Feb 14, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

There a little crustified,and need painting. Whats the best way to remove all the crap from em? Im getting ready to paint em up nice.Wire brush and simple green?:)

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Oven cleaner.....I sand blasted mine. It took forever but they were clean enough to paint when I was done:)

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Oven cleaner, followed by a knotted wire wheel.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I used to clean ovens for a appliance store when i was 15..........

Ive cleaned the piss out of alot of ovens for 5 bucks an hour, it burns the CRAP out of your skin, and face if you get it on you.
    Gotta love that SODIUM HYDROXIDE , :crazy: but it works.

Ill try that in conjuntion with a wire wheel, i was thinking about a degreaser also, because its really caked on there good. Have any of you tried a degreaser? Other than oven cleaner? I hate that stuff. Ahh, the memories. :)

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Oven cleaner is the strongest degreaser you're going to find. If you're worried, wear thick rubber gloves and goggles.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im not worried. Its sounds like a big ass mess however.I figure EVERYTHING has to be off the axle in order to get paint to stick good to it. Mabey go with some primer, then paint, then sealer, to prevent rust later on. :)

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

me personally i use super clean and spray it on there and let it soak a pit and a pressure whasher you gotta be a little careful but was pretty much ready to be painted after i was done.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey dude! Hows it goin? I IM you the other day, but i accidently pressed the block button, and now i cant unblock it, so for the record, im not blocking your IMs on purpose. :grin: I have a 6000 PSI pressure washer that is actually used as a jetter to clean the plumbing lines for customers.......it has a pulsate feature also,,, it would scrape the paint off any car though LOL http://www.gorlitz.com/Images/Watter%20Jetter%20&%20Cable%20Machines/GO-1500A_REEL.jpg

I live in a residential area though, chances are itd spew crap as far as the eye can see. It has a seperate feed line to insert X chemicals, etc, mabey ill attemp that. Anywho, ive checked out your site and joined up, its pretty cool. Take care,Jacob :)

9. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i sent you a pm the other day back but didnt get anything saying it was blocked if you want to get ahold of me you can pm me on my site or e-mail me at 4xrick@krazyk5.com is the pressure adjustable? and if you do it in the back yard shouldnt hav too much problems at least thats where i do mine but then my back yard looks like a junk yard......lol
    Rick

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yes it is adjustable. I know the title sounds stupid :D ,,but ,,,one thing i dont have is time. The less time on this nasty pig the better.I figure i can save time by asking these questions. :) Try the IM again. ;)

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

pm sent but again i dont get on here much anymore so the best way to get ahold of me is throught krazyk5.com thanks again
    Rick

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Use the Greg72 method......

A case (or two) of Brakeleen and some old toothbrushes.

:cool1:

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For the first iteration I use a putty knife. Next is Basin, Tub & Tile cleaner with a wire brush. Next is a wire wheel on a drill. Last is carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner with a toothbrush.

14. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i just scrape all the heavy stuff off then spray some brakecleen or carb cleaner, then take my 2 inch diegrinder with one of those 3M stripping pads, works ok for me

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would try that pressure washer of yours first. I wire wheeled and degreased mine for a couple days and eventually couldn't get all the crap off the drum backing plates....I just painted over it. :D

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

load em on a trailer, take em to the local self spray wash at midnight. power wash to your heart's content, and you dont have to worry about cleaning the mess up. not that i've ever done that or anything. :rolleyes:

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Power wash, then wire wheel the tight spots, then run a rag and cleaner over to get it all clean then paint.

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I was just thinking to get some bums from the licker store, :D pay them with a six pack,,and let em roll.!!! :grin:

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I could use a six pack!

I'd wash it for a six pack or two if I were closer!--I know a local contractor who does exactly that--hires drunks and crackheads for one day to paint a house or do roofing!(of course all our workers are experts Ma'mm:haha: :rotfl: :whistle: )---I have had good results sandblasting the rear axle housings,just use oven cleaner and pressure wash the heaviest goop off,tape up any spots you dont want sand getting into,and the sandblaster will take off the rest,leaving a perfectly clean surface ready for paint...:crazy: