Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to remove rust stains on driveway?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Oct 10, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My management company is ridin' my arse about the rust stain in the driveway. When I ground down my D60 calipers, I didn't have a chace to sweep up before it rained. Well the rust stained the driveway a LITTLE but the management company wants it cleaned up...So what tips and tricks do you guys have for such a job short of breaking out a wire brush?

Chris

2. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

muratic acid, test in an inconspicuous spot to make sure it does not etch the concrete. you can buy it fairly cheap at lowes or tho home depot

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could posibly rent a pressure washer and wash it away.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Muriatic Acid will do the job. It's sold as "pool acid."
    Might want to blend it down a little with water first or it will go to work on the concrete too. Always add the acid to water. NOT the other way around. Do not breathe the fumes. Also, cover or remove any bare steel in the area. The fumes have a seemingly magnetic attraction to bare steel and it rusts the stuff FAST.

I use it to clean difficult parts and to remove plating from hardware b4 welding. Do Not try to clean a Q-Jet with it though. Ask me how I know....

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

diesel fuel + hot water pressure washer always seems to do the trick for me, but the EPA might not like these chemical methods...oh well...

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Soak it with WD-40 scrub slighlty (a kitchen sponge with a scrubbie side will work) and then rinse with a hose. You may have to repeat a few times but only takes about five minutes. BTW WD-40 will also remove grease, oil, blood, pine sap from clothing and can help save that favorite pair of jeans that got messed up while wrenching /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif You just have to pretreat with laundry detergent and scrub a little before washing to get the smell out of the clothes.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Either Muriatic acid or one of the lime and rust removers like CLR,available at hardware stores.
    The best way to keep rust stains off a concrete driveway is to NEVER park a K5 or other GM truck on it!!(Just kidding!)My driveway
    has a pile of rust flakes an inch thick under my plow truck---. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I have one of those licence plates on it that says "Nothing Runs Like A Chevy Truck",--I've considered changing it to say "Nothing RUSTS Like A Chevy Truck"!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif