Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to secure a car on a car trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Nov 7, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

going to be Towing my nephew's vw bug behind the 93 burb this weekend and am planning on getting a car trailer from U-haul. whats the best way to secure the little bug on there? chains, straps? will it really move around much on the trailer? also any guesses on what a 68 bug weighs?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The uhaul trailers come with the ratchet straps needed to hold down the front tires and safety chains for front and rear. You could easily get away cheaper with a uhaul tow dolly.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

not sure how well that would work with a bug. i don't want the transaxles turning the whole trip. plus his steering doesn't lock so we couldn't pull it backwards. i thinks its 100 bucks one way from vancover to bend.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

bugs shouldnt way much more than 2,000 lbs.

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I've never used a uhaul trailer but they look pretty good and I would imagine they will provide straps, but they may charge extra. NEVER scrimp on tying a vehicle down. About 15 years I knew a guy in our club that had a car come off a trailer on the interstate, it crossed the median and was hit by a big rig and another car. The big truck burned to the ground!! The cost of the damage was way above his insurances max and last I remember hearing he was being sued for the difference.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

They dont weigh much. My brother, a friend and I were able to get the body off of one by hand. And the bottom doesnt hardly weigh anything; mostly just the engine and tranny.