Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best way to strip rusty headers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jan 15, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I bought a used set of Edelbrock TES headers for my 88' K5 with plans to strip and paint them with a high temp paint. They are about a year old and the factory black coating has long since burnt off. And with all uncoated headers they have a little bit of surface rust. Anyway I took off what I could get to with one of those rust remover drill bits which worked great, stripped down to the metal in no time. Now what I'm wondering is, how in the hell are you supposed to clean between the pipes (especially around the collector) and in the hard to reach places. I even tried using my dremel, but even that wont fit between the pipes. Is there any kind of chemical I can buy at Autozone or O'reilly to finish stripping the metal? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'm not aware of a chemical stripper but the local sandblaster here does stuff like that for real cheap.

3. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Come to think of it, I think I have a friend who owns a sandblaster. thanks.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pl like me who live in region with no sandblasters or anyone who has one are screwed,,,

good luck

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nah. Look in the yellow pages under sandblasting. Sometimes the places that make headstones for graves also do other sandblasting. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just buy some Naval Jelly and a steel bristle brush about the size of a toothbrush. Let the Jelly sit on it for awhile and then brush the rust right out. Put on some metal etch before you paint it and the paint should stick like, well, paint. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats what the guy here does. Makes up headstones and actually does the sandblasting on the side.