Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to turn my C-20 into a K-20?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Dec 3, 2002.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Mar 1, 2002
    Hey guys!

Since I sold my K-10, I'm now without a 4WD vehicle. I don't do any off-roading, but I need something with 4WD for winter time use and for muddy conditions. I pull a cargo trailer for my business, and sometimes I get into customer's yards and get stuck.

What I would like to do is put IFS under the front of my '81. I know, I know, but I want a smooth riding vehicle. Since I'm not planning to do any off-roading, I thought the IFS would be the best of both worlds...good ride and 4WD.

Another option is to put a straight axle under the front. I didn't like the ride that the straight axle had in my K-10....it rode worse than my 3/4 ton!

The third option is to get a rolling 4x4 chassis and swap cab and bed over. This would probably be the easiest.

I don't want to trade trucks. I love my '81. I've got it set up just where I want it. It runs great, has a strong 700R4 in it, has all the goodies like rear air springs, keyless entry, aux. fuel tank, CD player, etc. etc. I don't want to have to swap out all that stuff.

Has anyone tried to put IFS under an older truck?

Thanks for the help ya'll.

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Mar 23, 2001
    Go rolling chasis, it is the easiest and most reliable... Plus, you can choose what axles you want!
  3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Aug 5, 2002
    I haven't done it but I did think about it.
    I am in the process of doing the design.
    I go off road a lot, and I wouldn't be building this for myself, but inventing and fabricating is in my blood, and I want to do this, maybe next summer I would have all the wrinkles worked out and start making it.
    It can be done with the late 80' early 90's components.
    You will need some welding and probably a donor truck, but it will be perfect for what you need.