Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best wearing mud tire for 35x12.50-16.5? Setting up my daily driver.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Dec 19, 2006.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

So, it's time for tires for my '84 Blazer(3/4 ton axles, 4.10s, 4 inch lift)
    It's a pretty much stock motor and suspension, and is probably 70% street driven, the rest gravel roads, trails and snow. I'm not a hardcore Wheeler by any means, but I do want my truck to be able to keep up with my driving ability and I don't want to have to put new tires on every year(probably close to 10K miles a year). I have a pair of BFG muds right now with about 50% tread that would make good spares, and the BFG a/ts always wore really well for me, so I am leaning towards buying a set of BFG Muds, but for some reason the Interco Trxus keeps grabbing my attention. Is there another tire I should be looking at?

Also, the truck is not lifted yet, and I was planning on using lift blocks in the rear, but I have rethought my goals for the truck and I don't plan on towing anything more then a two place snowmobile trailer or maybe some dirtbikes anymore so I am revisiting the shackle flip set up. Do you guys think it would be worth it for me?

Just asking for your guy's opinions. I want a nice, healthy truck that I can do some modest wheeling in(I don't seek out mudholes to get stuck in) and get me around in the woods.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

BFG MT's.....

Even though I don't like them they do last a long time.

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Interco's Trxus Mudders, hands down! :bow:

Manny

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check out the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. Its a new tire design and from what i have heard it wears really well.

I'll be putting a set of the MTZs on my truck soon, I have only heard good things about them.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Another vote for BFG mud..

6. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The BFG is a good tire without question. Also consider the Cooper Discovery STT (not the ST) They seem to work very well in a large range of situations, wear well, and have a good looking tread and sidewall.
    Most of the name brand mud tires (Toyo, BFG, Nitto, Cooper, Etc.) will work pretty well for you as long as you keep them rotated very often, as in 2-3,000 miles tops.

7. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

BFG MT'S!!!! all the way!! My buddy has had the same pair of tires on 3 different trucks.. they work good, arent super noisey, and they last along time....also BFG KO's are good.. had them on my blazer for a good long time with no troubles

8. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

here's something off the wall...

Remington Mud Brute:
    [​IMG]

My dad just put a set of these on his '75 Ford pickup because his TSL's were down to nothing...literally smoking them around every turn so he needed something fast...a local shop had a set of 35.5ish (metric so I just measured them) for like $125 a pop which isn't bad...
    They ride VERY well and from the little playing we have done they seem to hold their own, its not as common but its something else to think about if you don't want to have the same tire as everyone else rolling down the freeway...
    He said the few people that he has sold them to have gotten in the 30,000 mile range w/ rotation and keeping an eye on the pressure so thats not too bad...I'll go snap a shot when I get a chance as the picture above looks a little cheesy...

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I cant say anything about the trxus tires as I haev never ran them but I do know the bfg's wear quite well. I have a set of 33"s on my f-250 diesel and they get great mileage for such a heavy truck. There has also been a set of procomp muds on there and they wore like crap. They wore very unevenly (even with lots of rotation) and wore quite quickly (within about 25k). That being said my bfg muds have gotten about 35K and thats with only a few rotations on them. Its a work truck so I get to experiment with what tires work best. :grin: Hmmmmm....Im due for tires now, maybe some trxus might be inline for the next go around.:wink1:

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had two sets of BFG Muds, Goodyear MT/Rs, and Trxus MTs.

The BFG Muds were by far the best in regards to wear and highway performance (both handling and noise). The MT/Rs were a little better off-road, but not quite as good on the road and wore faster. The current tires on my DD are the Trxus MTs and I'm not really impressed with them.......a lot noisier and a lot faster wearing.

A friend of mine had a set of the Remington Mud Brutes on his Super Duty and they wore really quick. He replace them with BFG Muds and they lasted a lot longer.

11. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I just check Cooper's web site and they do not list 16.5" for the Discoverer STTs.

12. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

definetly bfg mud
    ive put 22000 miles on my set and they have about half tread and i have a lockers front and rear and daily drive it

13. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

BFG MT I got about 20,000 on mine and there still at half tread and I don't show her any mercey.

14. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Whats a good price for the Cooper SST in a 35' 12.50r 15? I got quoted $840 out the door, good price or not?

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Ground Hawgs hands down. You will get many more miles on them than the BFG's

16. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

im happy with my BFG MT...they are wearing very well, quiet and handle very well (considering)on road and do fine in the mud and sand.

17. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

For a DD I would go with the BFG Muds or the Pro Comp muds. Good sales generally on the Pro Comps like buy 3 get 1 free.

18. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I'm running the 35"x12.50"x16.5" BFGs on my K5. Used the BFG's on probably half a dozen vehicles over the years and I really like 'em. A few of my friends are running Procomp MT's & Remington Mud Brutes with good results. I tried the 265/75/16 Toyo MT's on my crewcab diesel DD and they have about 50% tread after 15,000 miles. They've been great in snow and mud too.

19. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

Denman Ground Hawgs probably have the hardest rubber compound in the automotive tire world. I saw some 44" hawgs that had been on a truck for over 8 years and they still had a whole lotta tread on them. Thats why I got some. I wont need another set of tires for a long, long time.

20. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im running the 33 Trxus on my DD and they're pretty warn at 30K
    They work well off road and have good road manners but....
    They're soft and seam to wear quick and two cant be balanced because they're out of round (theres 26oz of weight on one tire and still not balanced). Maybe the newer production runs are better :dunno:
    Im thinking BFG MT's when I change them.