Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best welder for ur money+cages

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tacomuncher, Jan 6, 2006.

1. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

i was looking at a welder that was a hobart 180 for like 670 fro northern tools.com
    and also a roll cale from jegs for 259 12 point with 1 5/8 x1.34 also 6"x6"x1/8 mounting plates what do u all think about cages. kits or no kitz. :D :D :D :( :( :(

Jegster ''GM'' Roll Cage Kits

[​IMG][​IMG]
    View larger image

Product images may differ from actual product appearance.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think you can really do better than that price. Look at your local welding shops or even Lowes or Home Depot. I think that is about what I paid for my Lincoln 175 a year or so ago.

Personally? My next welder is a Lincoln 255. But thats not for everyone, its a good chunk of $$. A Hobart 180 will be more than enough for cage work. A 110V 135 Lincoln should be fine for 1/8" steel work. Personally I do better work with the larger 220V machines. I did better welding with my Lincoln 175 than my Dad's 135, and the 255 is a whole nother class of welder, I LOVE it.

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Miller251, you can do a lot with the little weldpack 135 from
    home Depot (and I have), but the full sizes make every job easier, and MUCH faster. once you move up you will never look back.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The bigger the better. I love my little Hobart 140 but for the bigger jobs it definately takes awhile. Then I just grab the buzz box, and a few rods.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I payed about 100$ less than that for my Hobart 180 about 8 months ago. I got it online from a company that advertises on Ebay. It was a small welding shop somewhere in the midwest I think. 2day delivery with free shipping.