Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Welder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stylzz, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I've been looking around for a few weeks and reading the posts on welders trying to pick one to buy. I made a list and was wondering what you guys think is the best one and where to purchase for the best price?

1. Lincoln Weld Pack 100
    2. Lincoln SP 135
    3. Hobart Handler 135
    4. Millermatic 135
    5. HTP 120
    6. HTP 140
    7. Schumacher 145

I'm sure there are others comparable to these so let me know if I have missed a good one. I don't want to spend more than I have to so keep that in mind.
    Thanks for your time,
    Joe

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you're looking to weld really. I haven't used a lot of the ones on your list, but I can vouch for the versatility and reliability of the Lincoln Weld-pack 100. That one, and #4 I have used. For best prices...try to find them at big-chain store...things will be cheaper.

3. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Just going to use it around the garage on stuff smaller than 1/4.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Than I say go with the Lincoln Weld Pack 100. I know there will be other people that say I'm wrong and others that agree, and that's because it's all personal preference/experience.

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I have been mulling over this for weeks now and although my needs are different I'd say you better shoot for more capacity than you expect to use. Welding is addictive and you'll need more b4 you know it. Miller 250 is nice /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif [​IMG]

6. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Just bought a miller 210 and it rocks!!!! I weld on racecars almost everyday , and I have used both miller and lincoln , and the little hobart 135, and all I can say is spend a little more and get a 175 , any major brand!!! Miller lincoln and hobart are nice, but you need a little more power than 135 to weld stuff like .120 wall tubing properly!! 120 welders do not have enough heat for proper penetration IMHO!!!!! I have used them in a pinch at the racetrack and had to "preheat the metal with a propane torch to get a good weld that didn't look like rabbit turds for the first 1-2" !!! Check cyberweld for decent prices, hope this helps...........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Yea I wish I could buy a 220 but I dont have access to it. So I need to stick with 110. When I need to fix frame and cage stuff on the race car I'll have to go to my friends shop. This means I just need to stay out of the wall /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Joe

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Don't have access to 230 volt? Do you have a drier in the house? If you do most likely you have 230. I am doing welder shopping also. I am undecided but the choise is between the Millermatic 175 and the Hobart 175. Lincoln is ok but there are some things on their smaller welders I don't like. I plan to order mine in the next 2 weeks so I have to make up my mind soon. Miller and Hobart are made in the same factory and they are owned by the same parent co. When the parent co. took them over they were smart and wanted to keep cost down so the Hobart uses mostly Miller parts. They just gave the Millers a few more special things to keep them the premium brand. I have used a MM 135 and thought it was a damn good welder for a 155 volt unit. I did my rear spring perches and shock mounts on the axle with it. Personally if there is any way possible go with a 230 volt unit and you will probably be alot happier. Here is a good link for you to check out for buying welders and it also has some links to company websites. They also have good prices with no shipping cost. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    http://www.cyberweld.com/index.html

9. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

lincoln 225 arc,works good for thick stuff /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks for the input but I really want to stick with 110 mig so stop giving me advice about 220 welders its just making me jealous. I wish I could buy one but I cant. My garage is a portable one in my grandmothers back yard where she used to have a screen house. I know I am a shade tree mechanic but its all I have to work with. I'm soo poor its rediculous but I'm chasing my dream to drive race cars and thats all that matters. Please give me advice on 110's because if I have to weld anything stronger I will just have to pay for it.
    Thans Again,
    Joe

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

2. Lincoln SP 135
    4. Millermatic 135
    3. Hobart Handler 135

If I were lookin for a 115 welder, I would go with one of those machines. In that order. I've got a Lincoln Power MIG 200 at home and use Miller MillerMatic 250's and Vintages at work. Both are excellent machines. One thing to keep in mind....If you run a Miller machine, You have to run Miller tips, nozzles ect. If you run a Lincoln, You can use either lincoln or Tweco stuff. The Tweco stuff is a bit cheaper. it's not a HUGE difference, but somethin to keep in mind if money is short. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here is some info on the Lincoln and Miller Machines-
    Lincoln SP-135T
    Lincoln SP-135 Plus
    Miller MillerMatic 135
    Hope that helps ya.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    to get a good weld that didn't look like rabbit turds for the first 1-2" !!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try turning your wire speed down a little...the 110 volt machines are more than capable of .120" if they are set right. yuo just need to go slower. Smaller wire helps a lot too.

Rene

13. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Lincoln. I seem to be able to find better deals with the SP 135 than any other welder. One web site has it for $452 with everything except the bottle and free shipping. I think its a good price? If not let me know.

Joe

14. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

Get the SP135. I own several welders, including a Lincoln Wirematic 255, a Linde (ESAB) 250 heliarc, a Hobart beta mig 250, and a Lincoln 225 stick (an old one, with a copper transformer and selenium rectifier). Having welded with a lot of machines, I prefer the Lincoln. I never really liked the Millers, and I despise the Hobart with a passion. My Dad bought it, he traded an Airco MIG/TIG/stick for it, plus a lot of cash. I'd trade it for a nice plasma cutter in a heartbeat. I also have a gas powered Ranger 8 with an LN 25 suitcase MIG. Let's just say I have a serious lean towards the red stuff. I like the SP series of small welders for light work, they do a fabulous job.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Having welded with a lot of machines, I prefer the Lincoln. I never really liked the Millers, and I despise the Hobart with a passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lincoln machines seem to start hotter and smoother than anything else...definitely my favorite brand of machine. Miller is a decent second place. Hobart sucks ass IMO. I've never used a Hobart machine I didn't despise...

Rene

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Lincoln machines seem to start hotter and smoother than anything else...definitely my favorite brand of machine. Miller is a decent second place. Hobart sucks ass IMO. I've never used a Hobart machine I didn't despise...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I liked the Millers at work before I got my Lincoln. Miller is definatley a 2nd place in my book too.

17. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

when your're talking 110v mig the miller i used was not very good compared to the italian made cebora pocket turbo 130A. it does aluminum and steel as good as anything i've used. cant say anything about lincoln cause nobody i know gots one...

[​IMG]

18. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Just wanted to thank everone for their input. It looks like I'll be buying the Lincoln in the next few weeks. Now I need to sign up for some welding classes.

Joe