Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Year Blazer ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by r_pogo, Mar 15, 2005.

1. r_pogo

r_pogo Registered Member

I am a newbie to this forum and need some advice from Those Who Know.

I plan on buying a 80-91 4WD Blazer for towing a 3000 lb travel trailer, light utility use (200 miles/month) around town, and an occasional trek over rural roads that are not well maintained, sometimes in bad weather -- not exactly off-road.

What year Blazer might be the best choice?

The priorites are 1) Safety, 2) Reliability, 3) Easy fixit, and 4) Economy. Cosmetics are not too important. I can do most major repairs/rebuilds, including EFI systems myself and will set aside some bucks to bring the Blazer up to good operating condition. Already got the trailer with load leveling/distributing hitch and anti-sway control. This has been an easy tow with a previous 78 Chevy 2WD 1/2 ton pickup.

I have owned another Chevy with the 700R tranny with EFI and that combo looks like it might be a good choice for overall economy in the Blazer as well. I noticed that the spec link shows the 87 and 88 have lower vechicle weights (anybody know what makes the 300 lb difference?) and having less weight to haul around might be an advantage if it is fat instead of meat.

Any advice from Those Who Know would be greately appreciated.

R_Pogo

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I like 89 best, its the best of both worlds IMHO, you get FI with no bugs, and still with the Mech. spedo. and most if not all bugs were worked out of the 700r4's

Plus i own one:D

3. primr87

primr87 Registered Member

personally id go with an 87 & up because i hate looking at all the vacume lines under the hoods on older cali trucks. they can be confusing and fuel inj. is better

4. tomy

tomy Registered Member

What's so great about the mechanical speedometer? In my 89 it makes a terrible noise on cold mornings. I think a digital one would be better.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont know much about towing, but i know short wheel base vehicles arent ideal for towing, but your towing 3000 lbs, which is more than 1/2 a blazer, so i dont know how that would handle, why not look for a suburban

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

because it is eaiser to modify/change with future driveline up-grades/changes IMHO

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

68 Blazers are the coolest! :D

seriously, go for the 87+ models.

8. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I would investigate which years parts are more available in your area :thinking:

I have a 91 Jimmy and like it alot but because its the last of its kind , direct replacment parts seem scarce around here

Just my .02
    I'm sure you will get addicted to any one you get
    Enjoy:thumb:

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

91s are the best for sure. :D

you have your 241 700r4 tbi and parts are very easy to find. yes i know that there is a whole generation of blazers that have these stats, but i own a 91 so i have to say its the best. it also it the last of its kind and can be found with electric mirrors.

10. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

It's a pile of...

fun all right:rotfl:

The only problem I have in my area is a lack of affordable parts
    If something major lets go I will have to pay through the nose to get parts fast
    Being my DD this does pose a problem potentially(mabey I should'nt off road for awhile:thinking: )

I do like the TBI. more than my old carbed truck though

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Buy TWO Blazers , you hang out here long enough and the Dark side will call you . Your gonna need one to beat the living $&&^ out of , and one to do everything else in :D

12. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

check the gearing ...you don't want 2:73 /3:08..

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ditto!:D
    BTW i think the mech speedo is preferred causs there is problems w/ the electric one. cant remember for sure. seems like u cant recalibrate it as easy either. its also more swap friendly.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya, what he said. theres a big difference between towing with a 1/2 ton pickup and a 1/2 ton blazer. that wheelbase difference is night and day. a 89-91 suburban might be a better choice if u plan to tow. and get a 3/4 ton version. 10b's arent exactly made for towing.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, I had to.

[​IMG]

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3000 lbs behind a K5 is hardly enough to notice, and certainly not enough to start recomending a Sub or other more traditional tow rig. I routinely towed a 21 foot 5500 lb trailer behind my Jimmy and never had any trouble with it. I did use a WD hitch of course.

We put about 10,000 miles behind us towing that trailer with my Jimmy...and the Jimmy was lifted 4" and had 35's. Once I swapped to 39.5's I stopped towing with it.

I'd look for any of the FI years.

Rene

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've towed with the 72 K5 I had and a 78 C30 crew cab duelie. I'll tell ya, I much reather tow with the 78 C30 crew cab duelie then the K5 anyday.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll grant that there are better tow rigs out there. However, 3000 lbs is nothing, a light enough weight that in the majority of states and provinces don't even require trailer brakes for it. To ocassionally tow a paltry 3000lbs a whopping 200 miles is well within the abilty of any K5.

Rene

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

3K lbs will tow fine behind a Blazer. Espically if it has a tow package and sway controll. I tow all the time with my 89K5 with no problems.

Persomally I like 89 and up Blazers. 30 spline axles. 241 xfer case, Strongest 700R4/4l60 trans.
    Try to find one with the factory tow package. Mine cane with Trans cooler, Oil cooler, better springs and sway bars

20. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

buy pre smog years so you dont have to deal with it or a deisel blazer if you can find one and do a engine swap to gas motor. i'm not sure how good the deisels were in the blazers but you wouldnt have to smog it.