Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

better brakes for 6lug 10b??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, May 6, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

are there any special pads or anything to increase the braking power of the stock setup? i've lost quite a bit of stopping power with the 35" tires.im gonna try bleeding the brakes and running fresh dot 4 fluid, but after that i dont know if there's anything else i can do.
    i've got premium ceramic pads on now. they are pretty nice, dont fade like the stockers do, but is there anything else i can do?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have the time and inclination, go to a good auto parts store, and have them pull the stock wheel cylinder for your truck, and a "big brake" 14SF, such as out of a 1985 K20 Suburban.

The 14SF small wheel cylinder is interchangeable with the 10 bolt, but pointless because the piston bore is apparently the same diameter, 1". Everything else looks the same, I think a 14SF big brake wheel cylinder will fit in a 10 bolt brake setup. Even the pads will interchange between the small 14SF and 10 bolt.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Jon, Look in the off camber forum for big half ton brake upgrades. I think ntsqd told gave a pad compound for me to use on my truck that should work good.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If they are still available, Raybestos "BruteStop" pads are worth using. They are similar if not the same as one of the pad compounds mentioned in the other thread.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the links. i think i'll check out those brutestop pads next time i do the brakes

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ntsqd, i looked at the wilwood website and there arent any pads available for 4wd blazers. are there any from other makes/models that work on blazers? i know i had stillen pads before and they were the same as astro vans.

what compound was the raybestos brutestop pads similar to? the "J" series?

thanks again

8. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I used the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads from Autozone on the front of my Burb. I also have them on a car that runs on a road course a couple times a year. So far, so good. Good braking power (after they've warmed up a bit), good wear, and a good price. They only have a 2 year warranty, but I usually just bring them in before that time and get a replacement set.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The single piston sliding caliper used on 1/2t & 3/4t GM 4x4's uses the "D52" pad. The so-called "metric" caliper (S-10 & small Caddy rear) uses the "D154" pad. Any qualified brake parts house should know what you're talking about when using those numbers. The D52's are used in most every large GM car up to sometime in the late 80's and perhaps later than that.

Wilwood D's and E's are similar to the Brute Stops with the D's being closest. Unlike the PF pads, the D's in particular don't need to warm up, which makes them more ideal for off road use. The E's don't dust as much as the D's do, but do need just a tiny bit of warming up.

The PF pads are the best I've seen for tow rigs.