Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Better Ride/Better Performance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Aug 24, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I need your help.. I have an 1981 Fullsize Blazer. Currently I am running on some stock leaf springs and stock front shocks. My rear shocks are Pro Comp 1000's. I did not buy them. They were on the truck. I want to put a small lift on and some new shocks and springs. The problem is .. I dont know which brand to go with. I want a smoother ride on the road than now.. I dont know if its the pro comps causing it... but my ride right now is enough to make you puke. I normally like a rougher ride.. hence getting this vehicle a year ago... but this is ridiculous.. It is worse than stock .. it rides like a rock. It jostles you and is very stiff and nasty... I dont plan on pullin boats with this bad boy.. I plan on going mudding, and flying over hills and things of that nature.. but I also drive her on the street.. and would like some comfort. Can somebody please tell me what kind of shocks and springs/lift kit to get. I heard sky jacker makes it ride smoother ... but I dont know! I have a buddy with one of these and his rides nice... I dont understand why mine rides like a damn rock... A friend in need... help me please... thanks.

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude,
    scroll down this page and back a few. also try a search. this has been discussed quite a bit lately. also try a search on shocks. youll find your answers. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

for a soft ride go with somethingn like tuff country EZ rides, skyjacker soft rides or superlift super rides.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

If you've ridden in your friends and like the ride I would copy his setup on your truck.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

we'll be able to help more if you fill out your profile.

6. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

as a general rule, getting some soft ride springs from Tuff Country, Superlift, Skyjacker, BDS, etc., is the biggest step. And after that I would recommend some Rancho RS9000's, they have a good ride that you can tune to your liking. I also had a set of Trailmaster SSV's that I really liked, the only problem is that they aren't the highest quality so they go south after a few years.

7. codeman

codeman Registered Member

The guy that said to get new springs and adjustable shocks is right on the money. But a very important point that is left out is to replace all of your rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings, and grease them up good prior to installation. I have heard that the bushings and sleeves in the rear shackle and sometimes rusted so bad that they can't move freely. Replace these along with everthing discussed earlier and your ride will be like new.

8. StiffRide81

which would you recommend... and what are the costs of all of them... I need to not spend a fortune on this stuf.. .so the best ride for the money would be best.. if they are all close in price... then simply.. which is the best?? Thanks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also, anybody know where to get lifts and tires at a great price online?????

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is OK for the rear bushings to rust up. They allow movement through twisting of the rubber and not by the bolts or sleeves being free. Their operation is quite different than the aftermarket poly bushings that you recommend. So unless the rust is bad enough that the spring is rusted to the shackle or something, that is not a big factor in this harsh ride.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You should figure out the source of your terrible ride, so you can be sure that whatever you end up doing fixes it. Are the springs sagging enough to hit the bump stops all day? If so, new springs will fix it. But if your problem is somewhere else, you will have spent a lot of time and money and still not be happy with how it works.

You could always take the rear shocks off and carefully go for a low speed ride to see if they are giving a lot of stiffness in back.

11. StiffRide81

I am pretty sure that I know the source of the bad ride now... I think it is because of a couple of reasons...
    1. The blazer has a add a leaf kit on it.. which is proven to make things worse.
    2. It also has quad shocks in the front... again something proven to make things ride like crap.
    3. It has pro comp 1000s in the back.. .which suck.

I think that I have determined that I want to get all new suspension... new leaf springs, new shocks, basically a lift kit with soft ride springs and Adjustable shocks. I dont know if anybody knows of a four inch lift kit that Has soft ride springs and adjustable shocks.. but if you do please let me know. I am also going to get 33 in tires. That will make it look nice and ride nice.. or so I hope. If anybody knows a good place to buy all this crap cheap... please let me know.. I am desperate.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4" Tuff country EZ rides, RS 9000s, 4" shackle flip out back

13. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Mine was riding the same way before I put the add-a-leaf kit under it. I used a Pro-Comp 2" add-a-leaf all
    the way around(no blocks) that costed $100 for the set of 4 and about 5 hrs. putting them on, pretty
    simple to do, just be sure to have some tall jack stands or something solid to set them on. Then I put the
    Pro-Comp ES 8000 shocks on it those were $160 for the set of four with boots.Ride is still stiff comparing
    it to say a 2002 Suburban or Cadilac or anything new but it's a hell of a lot better. I tend to like the stiffer
    ride too. But now at least it doesn't make you need dentures before you should, knocking your teeth.I ordered
    all of this from Suspension Connection.Unsure of the phone # or web address. PM me if you want it I can
    track it down for ya. They are just a little bit cheaper the 4 wheelparts. Hope it helps.

14. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I can only relate what I have done to my stuff..

I have a 71 that I put a 2' Front 4" rear Tuff Country EZ Ride Kit including their gas shocks w/ ORD extended greasable shackles and the ride is pretty good... I am comparing that to my totally stock 90 V10 Blazer w/ quad shocks front and everything else stock & 184K miles...

If I change anything on this 90 I will add the Rancho 9000 shocks & in cab adjustment... Great ride + good off road + great towing of my 25 ft boat....

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My truck on stock suspension (HD 3 leaf fronts, 6 leaf rear, quad front cheapy shocks) used to ride horribly. Turns out the rear sag was causing the bumpstops to hit the axle on every bump, so it would be a violent shock as the suspension moved some, then slammed into the bumpstops. (rear only)

I don't think that poly is a good material in a lot of cases. Great for sway bars, end links (in 2wd apps) and body/engine mounts, (not affected by oil, and neither of those mounts should flex much) but not good anywhere that it needs to twist. Poly binds, and does not give like rubber, so will serve to make the ride *harsher*. You shouldn't have to grease bushings IMO (when was the last time anyone greased stock ones : ) and the bind factor alone is enough for me to say no to them, unless of course "stock" replacement rubber is really expensive, or unavailable.

Not sure what you can get stock replacement rubber bushings for, but I'd look into them if yours are shot...typically though, they don't appear to go bad for a really long time.