Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Better shackle flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mud390, Jun 13, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Who makes a better shackle flip, ORD or Echobit? The installation on the Echobit looks to be much simplier, but does that compramise anything? There is also a big price difference. Does this have anything to do with the quality of the kits? Anyone who has either of these kits, your opions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kris

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I dont have a shacle flip yet, but ive been investigating. echobit is alot cheaper, but i think its worth my money for the much cleaner looking ORD. something just looks chincy about the echobit, and it lifts it 5.5" as oppossed to 2.5" or 4" from ORD. I wouldnt want that much lift from just a shacle flip for handling reasons.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i heard you can just flip your shackle you have now?
    I am along way before i get to that point... so i have to research it more myself later. Also NJ is picky about dot approved stuff... so if you flip your oem shackle... i dont see why they wouldnt allow it... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I believe the kits use the OEM shackle, they just replace or modify the hanger. You can do a homemade shackle flip by cutting out the bottom of the stock hanger but you will get bind at max flex I'm told. I just got front spring mounts from a 2wd truck and replaced my rear hangers with those. Here is the album with pics of my rig and shackle flip. The rig is in rough shape I bought it before I knew much about mechanics. It has been sitting for many years.

http://community.webshots.com/album/74690258eZPxGZ

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

There's this exact same post in the Garage right now! Check it out! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

My vote is to spend a little more for the ORD. it is very well built, stronger than the frame it bolts to and looks good as well. I don't have my truck on the road yet to try it out but I can't see it having any problems.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

How much lift did that net you? It should be about 6", right?

That's a front hanger off a 1/2 ton pickup with a 10 bolt which is about 3 5/8" longer than a short front hanger. Both my 4x4 and my 4x2 have them in the front. My 77 3/4 ton 2wd has a short front hanger.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How much lift did that net you? It should be about 6", right?

That's a front hanger off a 1/2 ton pickup with a 10 bolt which is about 3 5/8" longer than a short front hanger. Both my 4x4 and my 4x2 have them in the front. My 77 3/4 ton 2wd has a short front hanger.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking to me I got about 4" maybe a little more + the 1" zero rate. The mounting hole is the same height as the stock shackle. There is a bracket behind that I left on to keep the stock shackle hole height. I could have taken that out and lowered the hanger before welding but I don't want too much lift. And yes according to the wife there is a such thing as too much lift.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Who makes a better shackle flip, ORD or Echobit?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what your definition of "better" is. the echobit is simpler to install and cheaper and gets you more lift... the ORD is beefy as hell and looks great. I have a 4" ord shack flip personally... the echobit wasnt available when i did mine... and even if it had been I woulda gone ORD simply because I wanted to run revolvers. In any case, I dont think you can go wrong with either kit. Which one you get depends on what ur lookin for...

[ QUOTE ]
    The installation on the Echobit looks to be much simplier, but does that compramise anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

the ord replaces the entire shackle hanger... the echobit uses the factory hanger. <shrug> The only way either could be some sort of "compromise" would be if the strength of the stock hanger was in question. I've never seen a factory one break... so i doubt its a problem. On the other hand, i *know* my ord bracket aint gonna break...

[ QUOTE ]
    There is also a big price difference. Does this have anything to do with the quality of the kits?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really... the ord is more complicated and replaces that bracket... so naturally its gonna cost more. <shrug> if price is a big factor in your decision, then the echobit is the way to go. Im a big fan of ORD... SW and the crew at ord REALLY engineer car parts really well. Because of the time/effort put into the design process, ord stuff is generally more $pendy than other suppliers... but at the same time you know you're getting top notch stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
    your opions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

np buddy, if u have any other questions, lemme know!

j

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i just put on the echobit flip, and i think it's great. got at least 5.5" and it looks plenty durable. Plus, Mike - the echobit guy, was a great help and he answered every Q i had (and i had a lot).

alex

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My vote is to spend a little more for the ORD. and it looks good as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I saw this and must say something here. For one, who actually gets under your truck and says "hey look, that guy has an ugly shackle flip!" And two, if I wanted a nice looking truck, I would build a show truck, and not something that is just going to get smashed on rocks. I'm not trying to be mean, so dont get mad at me or anything, I just wanted to state my opinion on the matter. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    ---I am planning on going with the echobit flip because I am not worried about what it looks like, it is cheaper, and I think it is plenty strong. Don't get me wrong, ORD has a good flip. I would say that they are both about the same quality, but echobit's is cheaper and easier to install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Either way, your getting a great product!!
    -Harrison

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Good points. But some people would like to try and have a nice trail rig. I am building my ride up for krawling but that doesn't mean I want it to look like a junkyard turd when I'm done wheeling. Not saying that anyones does, but when someone says it looks nicer...well that may be an important part of the purchase to that individual.

EDIT: also, I don't know about you...but no one has to crawl under my rig to see the flip..it is there bright as day to anyone under 7' tall.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I did my own flip by cutting out the bottom of the hanger and I do not bind at all. I really really flexed it good in Moab too with no troubles.

15. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

You kinda cut that sentence off, the "looks good" came after the "well built-stronger than the frame" part. Its the gravy of the statement not the meal. Looks good could also mean nice welds, thought out design, not just pretty. But its pretty too - bonus. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw this and must say something here. For one, who actually gets under your truck

[/ QUOTE ]

any real ck5'er has their fenders trimmed and a good high clearance bumper... which means that one doesnt have to look under anything to see the shackle flip. It oughta be in plain sight! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    and says "hey look, that guy has an ugly shackle flip!"

[/ QUOTE ]

not saying the echobit is junk... but dont tell me that when u meet someone new at a 4x4 event and ur checkin out there rig.. and u see some wacky suspension mods that are booger-weld-red-neck-o-rama style you dont think to yourself "wow, that is lookin dag nasty... wonder how long it will hold up?" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, the shackle flip will be in plain sight. But to your other point, when they look and see some "booger-weld-red-neck-o-rama style" suspension components, and say that looks like crap and wont hold up, let them. But when we get on the trails and their $250 skyjacker kit with rear blocks doesnt get the job done, they will be saying, "Where does all that flex come from on his rig?" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    ----But anyways, the fender trimming will let you see everything, right down to the rusted holes in the wheel well. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    -Harrison

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Theres something to be said for that hybrid mutt of various model trucks which has a roll cage made from chopped buzz boxed sections of some VW sand rail and storms up the Tellico effortlessly. When they both make it to the top though, the guy with less invested generally gets the props and steels the show. When it comes down to it, I prefer to wheel with people who care less about looks and more about thier combination of components. The wheeling goes at a faster pace, theres less concern over the tough stuff that will most likely cause damage and if something breaks its just a short fix to keep going with the trial welder or a swapped in part. When you spend a boat load of money on something, you dont want to have to go back and redo any of it again so if the combination doesnt work out... well tough, go spend more money. I've seen guys around here change their "bugar" suspension setups several times in a year to varied extremes to find combinations that really work - and still spend less. When the right combination is found though, you'll see these guys come back and take their time making it solid and clean. Lets face it, if you wheel hard, your gonne break stuff - the less you have to spend on repairs the more wheeling you get to do. When I stop breaking things, I up the anty and play harder to see where the next weak link is. Have I ever broken my shackle bracket, or anyone else for that matter.... nope! I think the same could be said for ORD. Now if you go read the post in the garage - you'll see that there really isn't any competition between us and our configurations don't coss over each other. Its really a matter of how much lift your trying to get on what you have. Now stop whining and go wheelin! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Good reply Mike! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm going to be buying one of your flips in a few months. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

20. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, the shackle flip will be in plain sight. But to your other point, when they look and see some "booger-weld-red-neck-o-rama style" suspension components, and say that looks like crap and wont hold up, let them. But when we get on the trails and their $250 skyjacker kit with rear blocks doesnt get the job done, they will be saying, "Where does all that flex come from on his rig?"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif no doubt. We tend to give the major manufacturers some grief sometimes... but ya gotta admit, its usually the yahoo trying to fab up his own stuff that looks the most shady. I mean, when u see that pretzel drag link with all kinds if wacky gusseting, or a chopped/dropped/rewelded pitman, or 5 sets of blocks stacked on top of each other etc etc etc, it wasnt a manufacturers idea to do that poop...it was redneck joe 6-pack. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as pure looks go, the ord bracket is pretty sexy. Peeps seem to check it out when i go wheelin'. Personally, I'm not really one to worry about how my rig looks. Its all good. Right now it looks relatively purdy... only one dent and not to much rust... lots of tree-branch scratches tho from trying to fit down 6' wide trails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif in any case, whichever flip you (the original poster) go with, it'll work for ya. echo and ord are both good peeps.

j