Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Better Tire for Mud and Trails?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

The new IROK or the old Bogger? I want to spend my money wisely! (The K5 is not my daily driver)

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I like my 18" wide boggers

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I havent seen any trails with my iroks but they sure grip good in the mud. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think u might be better off with iroks unless u grooved your boggers.

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Id go w/ the 42 iroks

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Boggers are gonna have the best traction. They are pure insanity in the mud, and I have seen plenty of rigs use them on trails and rocks with good success. They could be grooved for better traction, thats what I'd do if I had a set.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if weight is a consideration, go with Iroks, they are quite a bit lighter. Boggers work everywhere, but they are the king of mud. I guess it depends which u r gonna do more... trails or mud. I'd pick iroks for trails and boggers for mud so... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

j

7. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I would go with th Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, good all around tire. If your engine can spin them fast enough, they clear mud pretty good. They are great rock and trail tires too.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The bogger lacks lateral traction for offroading in stock form. That is why alot of people won't run them in the rocks. They slip sideways. They have awesome forward traction but you need to groove them for lateral traction.

If you run strickly mud get the Bogger. Iroks will be better on the street then boggers and better out of the box for most trail applications. You can groove the bogger to make them work with just about any terrain though. Street is there only downfall. They do at first from what I hear but after some time it gets kinda nasty. Its all dependent though like all things.

Harley

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If you run strickly mud get the Bogger. Iroks will be better on the street then boggers and better out of the box for most trail applications. You can groove the bogger to make them work with just about any terrain though. Street is there only downfall. They do at first from what I hear but after some time it gets kinda nasty. Its all dependent though like all things.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]Mine road great when I first got them on but the problem with boggers is that the little lug wears faster than the big lug so after a fair amount of wear has occured then they get a tractor tire effect when going about 5-10mph....thump, thump, thump. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif At highway speeds they smooth out pretty well. The TSL SX is the worst riding tire I have ever experienced.

I would run the Iroks up front and boggers in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The TSL SX my ride badly but they are super tough tires. They are probably one of the toughest if not the toughest tire around (from normal sources). One of the AZ guys (FWP) runs them on his truck and they do really well in the rocks and are really tough. He has sidewall gashes in them that would kill most tires, and they still hold air and are fine.

It is all trade offs. All tires have trade offs, it is the nature of the beast. I just hope they make larger TSL SX's in the future so I can get a set of 39.5's or 42's for my next truck.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only three letters required......

T-S-L

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I would go for the Irok's, wish I had /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would go with th Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, good all around tire. If your engine can spin them fast enough, they clear mud pretty good. They are great rock and trail tires too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're smoking some good stuff if you think the MTR's can even come close to a Bogger or IROK in mud. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif You are entitled to your opinion though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I love Boggers and unless I have proof that an IROK can beat one in deep mud I'll always love Boggers. My vote is for the BFG All Terrains though, since they last a long time on the street and have good traction on ice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

This is what i used to make my choice...(clip from Four Wheeler Magazine)

[​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're smoking some good stuff if you think the MTR's can even come close to a Bogger or IROK in mud. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif You are entitled to your opinion though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I love Boggers and unless I have proof that an IROK can beat one in deep mud I'll always love Boggers. My vote is for the BFG All Terrains though, since they last a long time on the street and have good traction on ice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading my post again. Maybe this time you can understand it. "I would go with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, good all around tire".

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    What are YOU smoking? He never said a darn thing about the MT/R being better than the bogger or Irock. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The new IROK or the old Bogger? I want to spend my money wisely! (The K5 is not my daily driver)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does this guy ask for opinions on an MT/R tire??? Yes they're good all purpose tires but I don't see anything here that asks about them /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I wasn't trying to be a cocky SOB and tell you that your opinion sucked, I'm just a little biased when it comes to tires. I'm sorry if I've offended both of you /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does this guy ask for opinions on an MT/R tire??? Yes they're good all purpose tires but I don't see anything here that asks about them /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I wasn't trying to be a cocky SOB and tell you that your opinion sucked, I'm just a little biased when it comes to tires. I'm sorry if I've offended both of you /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Ahhh, I can see where you are coming from... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Ok..I'll take that. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif