Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Better U-joint for a 12 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uberbeans, Jul 19, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Until I upgrade to a 14 bolt and Dana 60 I would like to upgrade my existing 12 bolt/10 bolt combo(Since I am primarily running trails and mud in Florida) this should be ok for a while). I am wondering if the stock u-joints in the driveshaft and axleshafts are sufficient and if not what should I upgrade with? I did a search and was so broad it didn't help.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

stock size would be fine. Spend a few extra $$ and get Spicer u-joints... :D

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I concur. I wheeled mine with a 10/12 combo for a couple of years with just spicers and never had a breakage. Rock crawler may be a differant story but for what your doing they are fine.

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Spicer for the driveshaft AND the axleshafts? I've heard of greaseable and non-greasable, which ones? I neglected to mention that I am running 37's. Is this too big or no big deal?

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Oh, and wear should I get them?

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly I got mine at NAPA but not 100% sure. Deffinately get greasable if availible. Yes both drive and axle. As far as the 37's go as long as you are in mud and not running a locker up front you should be fine but have a possible occasional breakage if beating it too hard. I have seen guys running 44's on 2 10 bolts without breaking as long as they were in mud with no locker.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'd go Spicer all the way around... And it's up to you on the greaseable or non.... On the axleshafts, make sure you get the new "cold forge" joints. And either chek your local parts stores or even better, contact some of the Ck5 vendors and see if they can get them! :thumb:

One thing that I found that helps the front axleshaft ujoints to live longer(as well as the axles) is to put (4) small tack welds on the caps to help hold them in.. When I used to run mud, I never had this problem or needed this solution. But in the rocks with a front locker, it helps keep the cap from walking out of the ears of the shaft and stub...

8. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Are the spicers alot stronger than the original? I guess at the parts store I just ask for them instead of stock?