Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

between a rock and a hard place

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, May 21, 2004.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i sent in my old tanked gears for a set of new ones from 4 wheel parts, god bless the warranty, problem is they didnt give me back the bearing and crush collar that were on the pinion gear. now they want some 200 hundred dollars to over night it. question is can i use an old crush collar like out of a junk yard piece or should i throw down the loot for another master install kit? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif need info ASAP /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Did you buy the gears and the bearings at the same time under the same implied warranty? If so I would think the bearing would be included. The crush collar is a whole different deal though. I'm pretty sure I remember those bein a one time deal. Remember this is comin from the local village idiot so take it with a grain of salt. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you need a new crush sleve every time u set up a new gear. i say go ahaed & get all new bearings & do it right the first time. w/ my luck if i do not replace all the bearings one of them will go down w/in a week of installing the new gear.

p.s. genuine gears sux. expect to replace them over & over.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

First of all, you should have pulled the bearing back off before sending the gears back in. If you don't have a bearing puller, that may mean that you never set the pinion depth right in the first place, explaining the problems with the gears.

That said, you do need a new crush sleeve, but they are cheap. The pinion bearing and crush sleeve should be available at your local NAPA or Autozone. If not, try a local drivetrain shop. If that's all you need, another install kit doesn't make any sense. There are also online places (such as Randy's ring and pinion) that can sell you small parts.