Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beware! Mike's Discount Muffler on 82nd

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by crawford, Aug 27, 2004.

1. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Beware! Mike\'s Discount Muffler on 82nd

I know some of you guys have used these guys to do work on your trucks. I just wanted to pass along my pain in the ass experience. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I had my exhaust done at Mike's shop about 6 months back with no problems. Mike told me when I got headers they would help me put them on and weld them up for free. So I called him up and asked him how much to put the headers on. He quoted me $400 (what happened to free labor) for hooker super comps, but when I told him that was more than I wanted to spend he said they'd do it for $300. I agreed, but thought this was a little weird because the super comps were $360 at Jegs. So I go down there a couple days later to put the headers on. He tells me he needs to be paid up front so he can go buy the headers (my biggest mistake). So I pay him and go do some errands. He calls me up and tells me they ran out of acetylene so it won't be done till the next day. So the next day I don't have a ride and have to take the bus from Beaverton clear across town to pick up the truck. When I get there, I look and they had put Hedman cheapies on my truck. So I go in and tell him they put Hedman headers on and he tells me "Yeah, Hedman Super Comps." Give me a break, this guy owns the exhaust shop and doesn't know Hooker makes Super Comp headers. Anyway he makes a few phone calls and tells me it will cost him $500 for the correct headers, but a deal is a deal. So I drive the truck home and hell begins.

For about a month I get excuse after excuse about why they can't put them on. Sometime he'd even schedule me and I'd drive clear over from Beaverton only to get told they couldn't do it for countless reasons like, emergency gal bladder surgery, the headers didn't get there even though the day before he told me on the phone they were sitting there, they guys didn't come in to work, they were swamped, but he'd give me $100 back, etc, etc.

One day it was scheduled to be done I had my dad come with me so I'd have a ride home he canceled on me yet again, but told me he'd give me a full refund and do the job after the honeymoon. This was two days before my wedding. I was trying to get the correct headers on before the wedding. So after wedding and honeymoon I call him up to finish the job. He scheduled me for the next Friday and when I go in, guess what another excuse, but he tells me come in tomorrow at 8:00am and I'll get the headers done and have your money. So I go in Saturday, weekend before last, at 8:00am and call him on my way in. He then tells me his dumbest excuse yet. He said they are locked out of the shop. Apparently someone broke in and the cops are there and to give them a couple hours. How the hell could you be locked out if someone broke in? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Anyway I was only a mile away so I decided to drive over anyway. When I get there the shop doors are just being opened and there aren't any cops to be found. So he sees me and with a 'I'm caught in a lie look' tells me to pull into a bay. Even the install was an ordeal in itself. I only had to wait for four hours and even had to walk across the street to buy some bolts for the install. When they were finally finished with the job, you guessed it, he doesn't have enough money to do the refund right now. So as of today I've been calling him everyday trying to get my money back. Luckily I made him put it in writing the day he told me he'd refund my money.

So my advise is to go elsewhere.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but be glad I didn't include every lie the bastard came up with.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Beware! Mike\'s Discount Muffler on 82nd

Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if anybody else will have good things to say about him.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

man that really sucks he did good work on my blazer and a few others that i know of /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif bummer to hear about that i hope you get this solved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i got a new x-over pipe at Punks in vancouver... top rate shop. Things seem to be going slooow over at their shop when I was there, so ya might try them if ya need something done. They are right by Woodys, so they do a lot of offroad rig exhaust stuff and know what we want (big pipes, up high and out of the way!). Good shop/people,

j

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Punks is the shiznit! I recommend them to everyone I know that needs exhaust work done. Punk did a true dual 2.5" on my blazer, put my starter on (it was on my passenger seat) and put on my headers for 275.00... then a week later I called them up and asked for a crossover and he did it in 30 minutes for free.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

your VERY patient /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. Idiots like that get little if any follow up from me.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

82nd and what's the cross street? I think a Early Bronco owner just had a similar experience with them. You guys ought to go to the BBB with your stories.

8. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Duke is the cross street. I'm planning on giving him till Friday to have my money and then going to the Better Business Bureau. Do you have any contact information for the Bronco guy?

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The BBB won't help...Thats not what thier for, unfotunately.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The BBB won't help...Thats not what thier for, unfotunately....

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true. If you want your money back and can't get them to honor the written quote, you'll end up taking them to small claims court.

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Made a post since I can't recall who it was. I'll fwd or PM whatever info I get.

*Update* You should be getting an email from him shortly.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The fellow from the PNW Early Bronco list who also has trouble with this guy asked me to post his story here too. There is a disturbing pattern here.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hello ,

If you have not been following this topic I got a full exhaust done on my Bronco. They mounted it to close to the floor. Now it gets really hot.

I called them and talked to mike. I told him my hot floor problem. He said bring it in and he would take a look at it. I got there a little after 4pm and a guy was locking up the shop. I said I was here to get my exhaust fixed . He said he was the only one and had to leave work early . He told me to call and talk to mike tomorrow.

The next day I called and talked to mike . He had a excuse that he has stuff to do . Just bring in in and he would take care of it. He made a appointment for Friday . I took half of the day off early just to get there in time so they could fix it . The first words out of mike's mouth was we did not do this . You had this done somewhere else . After I showed him the receipt he then started to look at the Bronco . He put his hand on the floor and said WOW this is so hot I am surprised the floor has not turned colors yet . I said how long will it take . His reply was I am not doing anything to it today . I told him I took most of the day off from work to get it done today as I needed it done so I could go to SOB. [edit] Son of Beach, this weekend at Sand Lake, OR[/edit] He told me he did not care about that . He said he would not move the muffler but would only install a heat shield . He said see you Saturday and then got in a car and took off . So if you want to get screwed go here.

MIKES DISCOUNT MUFFLERS
    6441 SE 82ND AVE
    PORTLAND , OR 97266
    503 - 775 - 2499

I just got back from a another exhaust shop . I started to tell him my story and he said you were at 82nd and Duke weren't you (the cross street of the first shop). I said yes . He told me they get at least 5 jobs a week that came that shop. The other workers said it is sad that cars come from them and the only thing they can do is cut it all out and start over. I will never take my Bronco back to the first shop. I am done with them.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

13. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

What's the link for the Bronco forums? I'll make a post there too.

I know the BBB won't get my money back, but he needs as much bad publicity as possible. Short of picketing his shop it's the best way to warn other people.

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It came to me via a mail list, but both are run from here. The owners of Bfix are based in Portland and I think it's served out of the Seattle area somewhere.

*UPDATE*
    There is now a thread here as well.

15. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

he ran the tubes on my exhaust.. I put the headers on across the street in the plaid pantry parking lot then drove over there for the pipes. First he ran the pipes right over my rear axle, I waited until he was done, cuz i thought he had something up his sleeve to raise the pipes up away from the tubes. After he said he was all done, I told him that my axle was gonna hit the the pipes, so after i explained to him that my rear tire would stuff up and touch the top of the wheel well, he finally cut out the pipes and bent them up higher. i watched him do the whole job and i have to say i feel like he rushed it and didnt do a real nice job like he said he would. I would give it a mediocre job rating.. I paid like 150 for it, and he was Doing it without cats, and he was the only person in town i could find to not bitch about the cats.... I am satisfied but not impressed.

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    he was the only person in town i could find to not bitch about the cats..

[/ QUOTE ]

There's usually a reason for that. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Update: Beware! Mike\'s Discount Muffler on 82nd

Well tonight I decided to go out wheeling a little and see if I could find the Cedar Swamp area out past Washougal. Out of the blue the weld that was hoding my muffler up broke and half of my exhaust was dragging on the ground. I had to break it the rest of the way off so I could get home. I guess I'll be going in to Punks this week to see if I can get it fixed. I did find some fun wheeling areas, but I don't think I actually made it to the best area.

I also filed a BBB complaint yesterday.

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Update: Beware! Mike\'s Discount Muffler on 82nd

That sucks... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Dude, sorry to hear about your luck. I will say that I have been dealing with Punk's Muffler for well over a decade and have never had a bad thing to say about them, and never heard anybody else badmouth them either. I grew up (term use loosely) in Battle Ground and have known punk and his son, Casey since I was in high school and they have worked on just about all of my cars, from VW Bug to 69 ElCamino and Chevelles, to both of my Blazers. My current Blazer has the 2.5" pipe run so tight to the frame that other that the drivers side collector, nothing hangs below the frame rail.
    T-roy

20. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Where are they located? In the yellow pages on yahoo I get one in Vancouver and one in Battleground.