Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BEWARE!! READ!! Safety first. . . I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Feb 5, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

BEWARE!! READ!! Safety first. . . I\'m an idiot

My new wheels came in today and i went and got them mounted. I put the front two on- and then decided to put the rear ones on. I had to jack it up a bit more, and i did, and set the jackstand to the highest level i could get it to, but i forgot to lower the jack onto to jackstand
    I'm trying to line up the lugs when i hear "eeeeeeeee crrr BANG!!!" and i feel the sharpest pain in my head i run back, thinking i don't know the hell what, and ask my friend "am i dead?" being completely serious. I back away, and my truck had fallen to the ground!! it was sitting on the rear axle, or so i thought. . . i finally get up unddr there, and by the second grace of God, the first one being me not dying, the pumpkin landed on a 4x4 and did not smash or dent at all, the jackstand wedged itself on one side so that the left rear drum didn't hit the ground, but the other drum did. I somehow still have room to put a jack under there and i jack it back up put it securely on jackstands, and put the wheels on. . . . but the lug nuts i bought are the wrong thread!!! somehow the yoke still truns both drums and they aren't dented. anyway i go inside and look in the mirror, and see this [​IMG]

anyway, i think the wheels look great!
    thought i'd share in hopes that this will never happen to any of ya'll.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Re: BEWARE!! READ!! Safety first. . . I\'m an idiot

You got lucky like I did. When I was 16 I was using a rock for a jack stand under my Camaro. After it slipped, I bought jack stands.
    Glad you didnt get hurt!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Good post, brother. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Nothing like a close call to make you think next time, eh? Glad to see you weren't badly hurt......

4. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

ouch!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I had a hi-lift pop out from the base and hit me in the hip,and another time I forgot that I took out the cotter pin on the handle and I was off in la-la land when I started to lower the truck,the handle went up real fast came out of the holder and hit mr right about where you got hit,that time I saw little birdies flying around me!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifis that snow on the ground?

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

no it's not snow, maybe my little birdies were detected by the camera /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    no, i don't know what the heck it is

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Wow those look really good while you had a close call so did a friend of mine. he was puttin lift blocks on and the bed and leafs slide on the axle and the driveshaft came outta the tranny so i went over and helped him get one of the leafs and blocks on and were finishing it tomarrow. I let the battery die on my truck with the lights on so i had to get a jump from his HOT mom.. Thats good that your ok...did the fender hit your head or what? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Should put something under stands too.Had a car fall sideways off stands years ago.Now put 3/4 plywood squares under them when on dirt.Got lucky,was under it 2-3 min before it fell.Wheels look good,not too fond of Mickey Ts though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I had a junk Trans Am on a jack once and the lack broke. I had just enough time to roll my body out of the way. Damn thing almost squashed me, it didn't have any wheels or an axle. I grabbed the jackhandle and smashed the windshield. Made me feel better /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Great pictures of real carnage.....always double/triple check whatever you do when lifting your 4X4 on a Jack.

Glad to see you are OK. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

next time use your head!!...did I just say that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

This might also be a good time to consider investing in a good quality floor jack. I have a 3 ton craftsman and love it! it's so much more stable than the kind you are using!

Glad you weren't hurt too badly!

12. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

I posted this on another site, hope you dont mind. I think it illistrates well that this stuff does happen. Glad to hear that you wernt hurt too bad

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

After I put what ever I'm working on up on stands, I push pretty hard on it sideways to make sure it's stable. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I had a close call this weekend. Went to the yard and found 2 35 thornbirds on a Bronco. I went to the yard unprepared so i used a couple rims as stands and some drums to get the jack I found close enough to the rear hitch to lift the truck. I wandered off to find a lug wrench to fit the ferd a nd when I came back there were 2 guys standing next to the ferd laying on its side. They said they saw the tires and wanted them for spares and as they were taking off the lugnuts the thing fell over on the driver side./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif We ended up getting the thing upright and we each took 1 tire for spares.

I would never use wheels as stands or a crappy screw jack at home, but at the yard I was so worriwd about gettting the tires before any body else saw them,I probably could have been sqwashed like a housecat.

I guess necesity IS the MOTHER of invention, but I don't want MOTHER to have to come to my funeral./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

Yeah, I had my Blazer fall of jackstands once, but thank God it was overnight and I wasn't under it. Glad to hear you're alright!