Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bewildering!!!???(long read but worth it) mystery k-5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Oct 23, 2005.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i've been playin with k-5's for quite awhile but they have always been of the 2nd gen body style....well recently i got a hold of a '69 like i've wanted for years.....i actually saved it from a salvage yard that has their own crusher and this thing is stripped...they told me all the fiberglass in the top is why it hadn't had its day with the crusher...so i bought the whole thing dirt cheap.....it is stripped no instruments glovebox wiring harness or anything doorhandles are gone no glass doors are even gutted.....

i've told yall this story once where my friend thought they had 1 i might could use for parts and it turned out to be a '74 model, but i wound up getting a '68 fertilizer truck that had went down on them so i could get all my interior parts to start piecing this thing back together, his dad also gave me a '77 k-30 because i begged him for it , and they were sittin side by side...i made the arguement that if i got the old 68 out of his way if he would let me get that old 4x4 out of his way ,that he could mow the pasture all the way up to the back of the barn, i didn't let on that i would give my left testical for "that ole 4x4" i told him i could use the axels from under it...his son explained what i was trying to do and he gave in and told me to get them both...i tried not to show to much enthusiasm, but i had just picked up a sm465/np205 with a d60f up front...i recon the f means front, like you cant tell by looking at the ends..plus i had another truck that had the interior to make my 1st gen look acceptable......

i used : http://brochures.slosh.com/vindecoder.html
    to look them up and the 68 was a c-30 but the glovebox and air controls and all fit right over...well i've been married to this 69 k-5 for awhile and had friends come by on occasion, sometimes they would help, sometime they came by to see it i wanted to go fishing or hunting here lately.....i've caught a fever, i haven't went lookin for a deer at all this year...i'm waitin on gun season, i want to bag 1 with my new ruger super redhawk .454 casull.... but back to my 69. it had a cracked frame pretty bad around the steering box and the front spring mount and have been asking my friends to stay on the look out for these blazers...

well 1 of my friends found 1....he told me it was way back down a private road up here in the ozarks and he couldn't really tell me how to get there ...it was 1 of those places you have to know its there and he had just did some roofing for the old man that lives there, i would say he's in his early to mid 70's, well i was ready to go, but my friend was like i can't right now, i kept on him for several weeks...finally he took me out their and he was right , no way i could have ever found this place...he talked with the man abit about his roof and such and then told him i was interested in the blazer in the shed...he was kinda reluctant at first, but finally he said "well, i guess i don't need it any more...whata ya give me for it?" my friend said something about him doing the old man a favor on the job he had just done....something about doing it cheaper than he bid it because the man didn't have enuff money and he had gotten about 8 squares of shingles for him for free...so the man thought about it abit as we sat there and talked...

i went to look at it while they talked...it had 400 badges on the fenders and i thought cool a 400....i got around to the front and it was a '68 front cap on the truck...i popped the hood and my eyes bulged..it was a big block...the stickers under the hood said it was a 402..oh boy wow...i was planning on putting a '68 front cap on mine and here is one done with a big block so i crawled under it to find it had 400 tranny with a 205 transfer..my excitement was building i got around to the passenger side and opend the door and opened the glovebox it was original from the tag on the glovebox door 402 cid v-8...also turbo hydra-matic trans... 4:11 gears.....am radio, which was still in the dash...it listed everything down to the plaid seats and air conditioning and the color and tire size... i just couldn't believe it the truck seemed original, but i knew 69 was 1st yr or i thought it was...it had drum brakes on all four corners...and a hand emergency brake lever..which '68 was last year of this i believe, starting with the longhorn edition in 69 foot operated e brake

i didnt want to stay off away so i made my way back up to the porch where they was still talking, my friend said "what ya think" i told him i liked it keeping a monotone voice...i said its either a '69 or '70 that some one had put a '68 front end on it..he replied "thats what you were wanting to do to your isn't it?" i didn't get to answer before the old man said NO!! that truck is all original....i'm the only one thats ever owned it and its a '78 model...i was like in 78 the tops didn't come off to the windshield...he said i'm pretty sure thats what it is ,..let me get the title. he went in and i told my buddy that the old man was confused he must have had a '78 at one time and is confused,well he emerged with a title said '78 model, 4000 lbs gross , body style pnl(panel)..he handed it to me and i looked it over and tried to be polite and tell him there was no way, he said he had bought it in june of 78 from general motors auction and he used it to go fishing never mudded it or anything of the likes

well the truck was solid and looked like it had been well taken care of so i spoke up,"lets go see if this serial # on the title matches the one on the truck" he told he to go right ahead, he knew that was the right title...i looked at the serial on the title on my way back out to the unattached garage and noticed something weird before i ever tried to match it to the truck....i went and opened the passengerside door open the glove box ....and it matched!!! i went around to the drivers side and opened the door and the tags were still stainless silver meaning it was original paint...and once again it matched...i walked away just dumb founded...i went back around to the front porch....full of questions...had he applied for a lost title or anything of the like and he repeated again saying"i told you i bought that in st. louis from the gm assembly plant....they were getting rid of the older models in favor of the newer body styles.(the 2nd gens.)

he said "i had a bill of sale on the vehicle, but general motors had never taged or titled it, as it never left the plant, and i had to get a certified letter from them stating such, so i could get a title and tags"...i eagerly asked if he still had that letter and he told me the people at the dmv had kept it and told him they would have to title it as a 78 since it had never been tittled before, but they would adjust the amount of the trucks value...i asked if he had put that front end on it and he said "son, that truck has never been touched, except to put spark plugs or wires or oil in it.so we talked a little longer and i asked what he wanted for it...he came back quickly with $250 ...i started for my bill fold and i saw my buddy shaking his head to me no? so i just kinda put my hand up on my hip and looked like i was thinking about it...my friend talked to the man again about the materials he had bought for him and how he worked at a reduced hourly rate...and he was hoping to recoupe some of that.

the man looked at me and said hows $50 sound...i thought my knees were going to buckle and my friend was sittin their grinning big as he could ..winked at me...i told the man i would be back in a day or 2 with a trailer to get it....he told me if my friend would pull up to the front and boost it i could drive it home, if i stopped at the next little corner store up the road and get some gas, because it had been about a month since he had put almost 5 gallons in it because he still started it every couple of weeks to weedeat around up under the front end and get his riding mower out...he mentioned he was going to have to figure out how to secure his lawn mower up because that was the trucks purpose he would pull it out into the drive and get his rider mower out then put it back and back the truck back up some so no1 could get his mower....i bought him a masterlock and about 7-8 feet of chain and a bag of sac-crete....went over to his house as i noticed his garrage had two cinder blocks high around the perimeter...so i put sum welding rods thru the chain like a zig zag in a couple places at the end and mixed up the concrete droped the chain down in the block about 18"'s and capped it off with the cement...so he could lock his yard mower up! he wasn't sure where to put it, so i pointed out the hole in the rear for a ball and he was tickled...tryed to pay me $30 for doing this...i just couldn't take it...have $20 in what may be the rarest chevy in the 4x4 world.. he was right it drove me home and i've washed it cleaned out the inside mostly just dust on everthing

i just wonder if this is a proto type the way the serial # is it may be the 3rd blazer ever built....the paper work he got from chevy caused dmv to put body style as a panel. hand e brake which i've been told last year of that was 68 and it has a 402 a 72 model motor..

here is vin on truck, glovebox, and title :BKE168S1000*3 JUST GO AHEAD AND PUT THAT VIN IN HERE : http://brochures.slosh.com/vindecoder.html

ITS DEFINITLY NOT A SUBURBAN AND HOW MANY VIN # HAVE YOU SEEN WITH AN ASTERICK IN IT? this vin decoder has never let me down but a 78 with a 72 motor with 68 body parts.....i believe it may actually be a prototype and the 3 behind the * may just mean this is actually the 3rd blazer ever built!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  2. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

Fascinating...pics?

3. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I'll give you $75 for it sight unseen, and I'll handle shipping. Shoot I'll even pay for the master lock, chain and crete that you gave the old man. :haha:

You should be ashamed of yourself for stealing that truck. :rolleyes:

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah wheres the pics.. You cant go posting something cool as that and just leave us hanging without any pictures.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If I were you, I would be VERY sure to do all the research on this Blazer BEFORE you start making changes to it...

If by some miracle, it's a rare one-off...it's worth a heck of a lot more in it's unmolested original condition, than it would be with a bunch of mods done to it.

If it turns out to be something rare and valueable, you can sell it to a wealthy collector and use the piles of cash to buy a bunch of '69 Blazers with!!!

Oh yes, and I'm with everyone else......PICS would be great. I'd like to see what the heck you are describing...

Here's what a real 1969 VIN tag looks like: (2-piece tag)

[​IMG]

6. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

what greg72 said! if it looks legit do not do anything to it. by the way is it parked outside? :whistle: pics please :bow: :bow: :bow:

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

8. blazin_blazer

its under an awning off the side of my shop

i have no digital camera but the pics you posted on the drivers b-pillar right below the striker bolt ...it has the 2 tags its the top one that has that weird vin with an asterik in it. it has the gross vehicle weight or how much it can pull,.. something to due with weight on it, then the tag under it says gm confirms that the vehicle conforms to the laws in effect on day of manufacture....it also has it on the top left of the sticker in the glove box where it says VIN BKE168S1000*3 w/base 104" and it lists what all options it came with like the a/c,bucket seats ,console,interior color,exterior color,and trim(puke) down to type of hub cap and which rims it has on it...btw it is a whitesh color(kinda like good vanilla ice cream)almost but not quite dark enuff to call beige and it has these hidious woodgrain stripes running down the lower sides of the truck with a woodgrain inlay in the tailggate, the rims are white and so is inside of the grille it has chrome running along the hoods edge and they make about a 90 degree turn out on the fender and run down to a point with 2 chrome rectangles running side to side with a red bowtie in the middle where it sort of comes to a point, with chevrolet spelled out across the front of the hood...the windshiend rubber has some kind of chrome running around in the middle of the rubber...it has red interior(door panels,arm rest, the dah pad, the trim on each side of the dash where the ac vents are,the steering column and the steering wheel, the instrument bezel is woodgrained also) the seats are that off white with red lines and little black lines that looks like plaid inset in the middle of the seats(does that mean anything)... i have no idea how to go about researching it....i have a 12 yr old daughter and i've thought about just investing in a good cover and get it out her senior year and sell it for her college, but man its sweet...it has co-op size p-78's on it the only non original parts i believe about 50% tread and it just looks tough and pretty at the same time?!? where do i start to document this thing.....i mean i already have a title that says its a '78 model...what should i do..put some moth balls in it and let it set for 5-6 more years and use it to put my daughter thru college. where do i start...looks like if i tagged it and drove it i would get stopped all the time, everytime the police riding behind me and the tags come back to a 78 model most of the cops around here are country boys and will instantly know i'm not driving a 78...i dont want to drive it much if any...the old man swore the odometer was correct it reads 78,612.4 now after driving it here.....i definitly don't want to be the one to roll the odometer over...i mean i'm at an absolute stump on how or what i should do. maybe try and contact gm? see if it's a COPO blazer or prototype or something...it just too much stuff for it not to be something special, if anything it is at least quite unique to be a hybrid titled in 78??

9. gmcjimmy90

gmcjimmy90 Registered Member

where at in arkansas are you located

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Now I wanna see this. Gonna have to buy, borrow or steal a camera. :D

11. blazin_blazer

i'm in searcy

i live in searcy , the k-5 of question came frome coal hill arkansas...and has been moved to helena via trailor, i have an uncle down there who owns most of the land inside of the levee and about 130,000 acres around elaine...he is a colleror and has built a huge warehouse just for his vehicles, he told me i could store it in there as it is environmently sound kinda like a big humador, i almost swapped him for a truck he has in the warehouse but changed my mind until i find out exactly what it is...he has several people that verify his vehicles and such and he told me he would put them to work on it, i contacted gm myself and they told me they did not keep records of COPO trucks so they couldn't offer any help altho they did admit to several prototype blazers, but said they were supossedly all crushed, but there was a possibility that 1-2 may have escaped this death if they were being used on the assembly plant yards for what ever reason but they could not tell me anything about serial #'s or anydetail as they were not kept they said,,...my uncle has a '90 454ss truck with plastic still on the seat and paper floor mats on the footwells...i was thinking of trading him but then he brought up the fact of us finding out what it is 1st, but told me he would trade if i wanted at anytime..the 454ss has 11.2 miles on it...looks like it should be on a showroom floor, he also has a newer model , i think it is a 94 or 95 truck that is a half ton 4x4 with a factory big block that has about 200 miles on it , it has factory wheelwell flares its green and silver along the bottom, i kinda liked it also but hate to get it to lift and wheel, oh yea it has a supercharger on it...i started it up and reved it up pretty hard then let out of it and it started fluttering and whistling..scared me and it must have been obvious from my face because he started laughing and told me it was a waste gate that lets the boost escape when you let out of it like that, and it was dealer installed he has ,...i would say about 80 cars and trucks in there , i didnt want to leave but they pryed me out and he said he would be in touch as soon as his people find anything about, i asked him to leave me ,i named off about 5 trucks, in his will...he smiled and said i may just leave them all to you , i grinned and agreed...he said i was the only ony in the family that has his passion for vehicles...i said well i'll need the warehouse to keep them in..and replied i was talking about the whole farm..and slapped the bill of my ball cap...he is wonderful....oh yea i got to tow back a '72 454 back with me out of a camaro that he had swapped in a 502 ram air that he goes and drags the strip up and down a little everynow and then...and it runs and has never been taken apart, it still has the tin head gaskets on it,, i'm glad i smartened up from my early 20;s because everything seems to go my way and my family loves me as they always did but know i'm not to stoned to not see it or skip family reunions because i was ashamed to see them...i actually love life now!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Good to hear your life is better now that the smoke has cleared! I hope you find something out about that truck as it seems like it may be a diamond in the rough type of find.

13. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I bet your uncle has a digital camera :D

Very good read, has me on my toes :bow:

14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where is this thread is useless with out picture smiles

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If it's a '68/'69, then it was built about 37 years ago, so whoever was involved at GM has probably moved to another job or more likely retired. They were famous for building weird stuff in the 60's and 70's and there wasn't necessarily any process in place for documenting what was going on. I'm curious to see what information turns up.

16. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

you mean this one?

17. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

oh my god! My dream truck just as it sits! Drum front brakes?

PICS!!! NOW!!! I DEMAND YOU!!!

18. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

agreed!!!

19. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup

20. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Everyone is excited and waiting, dont let us down.