Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG A/T vs. BFG M/T

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Nov 17, 2003.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Why do some guys (Marv Springer) stick with all terrains on their trail rigs? Is it only the guys who do rocks? Do they do just as good as M/T's?

2. onetwistedk5

onetwistedk5 Registered Member

Its all personel preference. I mean i dunno how some people wheel with a/t's that are like wheelin with some Mickey baja belted's, they just do. All in the way a person drives though, but that will run out soon enough. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess it really depends on the terrain. Here in the midwest there is always SOME mud, even if you try to avoid most of it, and loose rock, therefore AT's pretty much suck around here. In a dry climate with mostly rocks then the AT could probably hold it's own.

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

For the most part of the pics and info I have, Marv doesn't run mud. They SUCK in mud, unless you like the dragslick look. I don't know how many people I have pulled out of the mud that had AT's on thier ride. Other than that, they're an ok tire.

5. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Here in GA my old BFG all terrains did pretty good in the mud actually, but they would get clogged easier than my M/t's do. what about on the rocks? I have only done minimal rock wheelin on my M/t's and never did any with my A/t's. I would think the harder A/T compound would make it more slippery on rocks.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have run both in rock and a little mud. The big difference is in loose soil. I had to lock in more often in sand with an AT. On rock they seemed really similar but a mud tire does act like little hands grabbing at the edges. The AT moves around more. The MT's don't last as long but I usually blow them out before I wear them out anyway. Then again I now run MTR's and probably won't go back to BFG for the trail (unless the Krawler price drops). /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

"that's my story and I am sticking to it"

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why do some guys (Marv Springer) stick with all terrains on their trail rigs? Is it only the guys who do rocks? Do they do just as good as M/T's?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I have always run A/T's is because I used my truck as a daily driver/weekend wheeler. And, let's be honest.... if you're driving to work every day - no matter how many weekends you go wheelin - you STILL spend most of your time on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...... So that's why I ran A/T's... because I was spending most of my time on the road!....

Additionally, I think that A/T's are better sand tires than M/T's, and once a year or so - I'd get the chance to play in some sand dunes in West Texas, where I grew up....

Also, Discount Tire has a great "Road Hazard" warranty on them /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But... to answer your ?.... it's not hard to find a better "rock tire", and there is no tire worse in mud /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif..

Marv

8. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

BFG A/T = Longetivity for Road driving, good off-road

BFG M/T = Wear out on Road, great off-road

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then again I now run MTR's and probably won't go back to BFG for the trail (unless the Krawler price drops).

[/ QUOTE ]

They have

Check it out

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

AT's are a good tire. They are great onroad and ok off. I ran them for years on my truck. I have switched to the MT's now, and to tell you the truth I won't go back.

The AT's upside as compared to the MT's are the ice, sand, and Daily driving. Beyond that the MT's win hands down for everything else.

11. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

ive had both and i loved theh MTs they actuauly did prety good on the road. but awesome in the mud

12. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

The deciding factor for me was on bfgs web site they rate the at better in snow/ice, since my truck is my dd in this lovely snow and ice bound 5 months out of the year state I chose the ats.

13. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

To double up on your question, here's mine,

What is a really good tire for mud and snow?

It's damn sure not the M/S (mud/snow) terrain tires. They don't clear mud at all.

Up here in Montana we get a lot of snow (good 4wheelin').
    Then snow melts and makes really sloppy mud (good 4wheelin').
    When it's not snow or mud then it's dry and I'm still up in the mountains on old loggin' trails.

Don't go with M/S tread.

What do you guys think? MUD???

ML...

14. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well if you need snow/ice traction but also need good cleaning you should look at the "highbread tires" as i call em. These being as i have seen yet, the les schwab wild cat (my brother has these on his toyota and they do awsome, no problem in the snow and ice covered pass roads and they clean well enough for trail mud) then the Eldorado ZR4 its like the before only a little more void. I run these on my luv for my winter tires but when i had em on for wheeling they cleaned vary well. That asside, if you dont like those or cant get em big enough(i dont think they go bigger than 33) then i would go for something like the Good Year MTRs and sipe em.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    To double up on your question, here's mine,

What is a really good tire for mud and snow?

It's damn sure not the M/S (mud/snow) terrain tires. They don't clear mud at all.

Up here in Montana we get a lot of snow (good 4wheelin').
    Then snow melts and makes really sloppy mud (good 4wheelin').
    When it's not snow or mud then it's dry and I'm still up in the mountains on old loggin' trails.

[/ QUOTE ]

For deep snow, nothing beats an agressive tire. In a radial the BFGs are about as good as it gets.

For just straight on mud nothing can beat a Bogger. There is really no question that Boggers are the best mud tire that exists, but there are so many tradeoffs to run them that most people that wheel on some dry trails that are rutted probably wouldn't want to run them. Then there's the horrible road performance.

A/Ts are awesome on the road and in shallow snow and in my opinion they should stay there. They are great for that use, but they are not an off road tire. About the only off road type tire I can think of that is worse than the BFG A/T would be Thornbirds. They are so quiet and smooth on the road though, I can't resist getting a set for mine for road use only.

16. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Only tire for ice are the ones with chains /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Only tire for ice are the ones with chains /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

which are illegal here so we're screwed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /Ts are awesome on the road and in shallow snow and in my opinion they should stay there

[/ QUOTE ]

My ats were great in about 1.5-2ft of snow on a dirt road last year I went about 1/8-1/4 mile in pushing snow with the diffs, had to back out though because the 03 1500 (stock) couldnt even follow in my ruts.
    Now granted I have never experinced any other tires on a 4x4 in the snow but unless my ats get me stuck this year Im sold on em.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had the bumpers pushing snow with my old BFG M/T. I agree with you though, for road use in snow, few tires can beat the BFG A/T. I can't wait until I can afford a new set of BFG A/Ts for my truck for road use.

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My BFG AT's handled ok in light snow, but once I got into deeper stuff that hadn't been driven on, the tread clogged up just like people say they do in mud.

I dunno, have to say that climbing hills in snow, my opinion is an MT would work better than an AT if it's deep and you can't get the AT to make it to solid ground.