Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG A/T VS M/T

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JC50, Mar 22, 2002.

1. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

Need new tires on my truck. I pull a trailer most of the week with about 2000#. Want to go with either BFG A/T or M/T's. Size will be 33 x 12.50 x 15 on 15 x 8 OEM cast aluminum wheels. I've gone thru a couple sets of inferior mud tread tires from Wal-Mart, (super sports), that lasted 8K miles.(Crap). I off road app. 10 % of the time. I want to put BFG A/T's or M/T's on next. I know that the A/T's make more sense/ I drive most of the time on hard track and pulling a trailer. But I like the look of the M/T tread plus the 4 wheelin I do. Could I expect 15 or 20K mileage with the M/T's, pulling my trailer most of the time? Or should I opt for the A/t's? I have an 87' K5 Blazer Silverado 350 EFI /3.73 r.a.,/4 spd auto/H.D. rad & trans/tow pkg. Comments appreciated.

2. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I put a set of 35" AT's on my truck at 113,000. Right now I am at 133,000 and they still have some tread left, at least another thousand or two. MT's probably won't last as long as AT's but you will get more than 8k. Mt's are a little louder if that is a factor.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can easily get 20k out of either tire. I suggest that if you get into any rough stuff at all, you run from the A/Ts like the plague. They're not good in mud at all.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I would say the ATs. If your off roading involves mud go w/ the MTs. I seen your in Fla, most of the trails here either are mud or have mud, so that may play into your consideration. Where you located? I am not too far from Tampa.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

MT's wear pretty good. I would figure 25-30k if your truck is in alingnment. I have a set that has been on my truck for almost 5 years and still has close to 50% tread. I figure 18-20k on them. The downside is they are not a good wet street or light snow tire. The A/T wins that hands down. Now The new BFG line is the KO A/T and it's much more agressive looking than the old A/T and the New KM replacing the MT. Again an even more aggresive looking side wall.
    Now the bad news. BFG pulled down the KM lines to up production on tires for this whole ferd fierstone BS. As of right now on 35's they are talking mid April unless you luck up and find a tire store with them in stock. Not sure this carries over to the 33's
    here is a write up on the KO http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/newproducts/BFGTAKO/
    here is one on the KM http://www.4x44u.com/Features/BFG2001/

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I would expect much longer tread wear than what you guys are saying. I had a set of 33x12.5x15 mud terrains on my 95 F-150. They had over 50 thousand on them when they were replaced. At that time the tread depth wasn't outstanding, maybe only about 1/4 inch, but it worked great until the snow fell. That truck never saw much off roading, maybe that was a factor. Just keep em rotated, they should last at LEAST 30 thousand (IMO) I have a set of 35" muds on my blazer now, I sure as hell hope they last me more than 20K /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

I am in Charlotte county. Have lots of mud runs outside of town and run out to Cecil Webb wildlife mngmt. area. Typical Fl. wooded terrain and swampy type areas

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I am in Pasco Co. Near "Richloam". Its actually Withalacoochie Wildlife Management or something like that but everyone knows it as Richloam.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you run mud then don't waste the time or money on the AT's. Trust me I know from experience. I like my AT's alot, but they suck a fat one in the mud. I live in AZ where there isn't much mud which helps me out, and I have survived with the AT's, but next time the tires need replaced BFG MT's all the way.

10. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

Thanks for info...I was under the assumtion that the tread design on the M/T's would wear down twice as fast as the A/T tread if driving on pavement most of the time. But after reading posts it appears that is not the case. Is that correct? Or would the consensus be that somebody could expect at least 20K miles from either BFG muds or A/T's BUT the A/T's might well last twice that?

11. A&P

A&P Registered Member

My brother runs 33x12.50x15 BFG Mud Terrains on his 88 Dodge ramcharger. He's put 70k on em' so far, and there's about 75% tread left. I don't konw if this is a miracle or what, but the truck is at least as heavy as my Jimmy. Just keep em' rotated according to how much you drive. I definately say go with the MT or KM or whatever they call em' these days. I have the same size BFG AT's on the Jimmy and am not at all impressed. Just my $.02
    -Ben

12. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

Thanks for all the reply's. I'm going with the muds. Sounds like they wear well on pavement and I know I'll have the best tire of the two when in the swampy off road areas.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The M/Ts will wear much faster than the A/Ts, but both will last 20,000.

I'd expect 30k or so from M/Ts if you don't mind them a little on the shallow side and 40-50k on a set of A/Ts. I like the tread on my M/Ts nice and deep so I might replace mine with Swampers before they're worn out (as this will no longer be my daily driver anyway).

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had two sets of BFG Mud-Terrains on my Blazer (32x11.50's and 33x12.50's). I put 40,000 miles on the truck between the 2 sets of tires and neither set was even close to being worn out....the 32's were stolen off the truck and I sold the 33's so I could put on 35's. The 33's had around 15,000 miles on them and I measured them to still have about 70% of the tread left, plus these were off-roaded on a regular basis so probably had more wear than normal as compared to tires that were only on the street.

15. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

i have always gotten atleast 60k miles out of the BFG AT's and MT's. I have had 2 pairs of both. Personally, I didn't like the AT's. I thought they sucked in deep snow and mud. Most likely you will not be concerned with snow, but in mud the AT's don't clean well.

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Just a thought: I have the mickey thompson mtx's and they have worked very well in the mud and show no signs of tread wear after 5k. They are a lot cheaper than bfg's and air down a lot wider too.