Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG All Terrains

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Dec 21, 2005.

?

How are the BFG all-terrains

1. They suck hands down

19 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. OK

46 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Great

84 vote(s)
    47.2%
  4. im nekked

29 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Well for my birthday my parents gave me an IOU for tires:D . It says
    "How about theses super swampers" and has a picture of a tsl and thornbird.

Now i recently got my aal and can fit newer and bigger tires under my truck. My dad (he's paying for the tires) says i should get the A/ts. Im ok with this but i would rather have Goodyear mtrs.

I told him i would pay the diff. from the a/t and the mtrs. but he still says no:mad: he also keeps dropping hints about how they suck in mud i guess hes trying to imply that i cant go mudding:haha: right....:haha: so my question is do they realy suck or are they ok

RANT OVER.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well ive got 35x12.50 bfg AT's. with stock gearing (3.73's) i was very surprised at the amount of mud i was able to throw up. they do turn to slicks almost instantly. however, when out mudding with a buddy whose got a new wrangler on 36" iroks and 4.88's, i did better in the deeper mud than him dispite my tire handicap.

dont get me wrong, these are by no means any where near good as swampers in mud, but for some reason in that situation they really shined.

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i got some 35s on a 79' longbox ford and i ran themout on the farm all summer, they leave alot to be desired in the mud and fresh plowed fields, but they do wear like iron on the pavement, IMO they suck for anything offroad and look ghey too.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

from the few buddys i have running mtrs, they didnt like them, i dont have any friends running A/ts right now, one used to but it didnt matter what tire he had he would shoot through huge mud holes anyway. May find a off brand mud terrain, that is comparable in price to A/Ts

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

They're great tires I ran em for years when I had 1 rig then when I got my blaze I started experimenting My Blaze has Mtr's on it now if it's a DD go with the BFG's

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

wish I knew how to upload video footage from my camcorder... I have video proof of bfg AT's kicking some butt at a local mud bog event.. the guy had an f-250 super duty on 35" at's and he was flying through the mud in foward and reverse
    James

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say if it is a DD to go with BFG mud's and be done. I run the BFG muds on my DD and have had the same tires now for 4 years and are now at the point that i need to replace them. They are a very quiet tire on pavement but work well in mud and last a long time as a DD.

8. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

my blazer came with bfg at's and i loved them but it is true that in sausy mud they will slick up but ive also never had to be towed out due to them. currently i have a fresh pair of bfg a/t on the front with a brand new pair of bfg mud-terrains in the back and with the posi its alot of fun the mud version is easly 5X better in the mud field but on slippery roads and side streets they dont offer as much grip as the a/t's do. just my 2 cents

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'm running 33" BFG AT KO's. Expect them to load up quick in mud and snow. I wouldn't own another pair if they were given to me. Ok in the rain on pavement and dry offroad.

If you have a choice of muds or mtr's I'd go that route.

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have ran BFG AT's, MT's, Goodyear MT/R's, Swamper SSR's, Swamper Radials, and Ground Dogs, and the best all around tire is the BFG AT's. I am running the AT's now on my DD and have been offroad with them and they work very well for an AT. They do ok in mud considering they are an AT and they work fairly well on rocks. My MT/R's on my other K5 work extremely well on rocks but suck on wet roads and are not that great in the snow and mud. I couldn't stand the Ground Dogs and took them off after having them on 1 day. The Swamper SSR's were decent in every condition but wore quickly.

11. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I've ran 33" A/T KO's for two years on my blazer and I think they're great tires. Works great offroad but if you mostly run mud i would consider something else.

12. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

For my DD trucks I have always liked BFG A/T's. I get 40,000+ miles out of them and they work well off-road. They are not designed to be an all out mud tire but they have never left me stuck thinking "if only I had a more aggresive tire." Get them and save your money up for a set of swampers to use on the weekends once your dad gets used to your rig coming home muddy and broken

13. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Take a look at Cooper Discoverer S/T's. Ive put over 20k on them and there still goin strong. Awesome in the ice/snow, and work out pretty well in the mud.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are running mostly off road, and mud, go with something else. If you dive on pavement, trails, mild rock and occaisionally in mud they are great.

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I had 33" BFG A/T's on my K5. IMO, they're not so good in the mud, but they did well for me in sand and sandy dirt (both packed and loose). Loved 'em on the road - good dry performance, decent wet performance, and I thought they were great in the snow & ice. As already noted, they wear like iron - I put almost 30,000 miles on mine, and only wore about 3/32" of tread off.

16. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

I had an 87 K5 before my trail rig I have now and it had some 31ish metric size on 16.5's I welded the rear axle because I was going to Badlands and wanted to have some fun Timmay was with me and I honestly never had so much fun before They work well on rocks at least there they did , and also I had them aired down but too much blew a few beads but that was it . I had a stock 305 tbi motor in it with a 700 r4 only mod was weldin the rear and throttle body spacer and a flowmaster I loved that truck but i beat it and tried to use it as a dd and it just wasn't working so I sold it . My truck I have now is better than that ever could have been . But in my expirence I also went to local mud runs and never got stuck in mud due to them I like MTR's beter but for a good solid iron wear long lasting tire get the at's
    I put dunlop mud rovers on my truck bc they were cheaper i would have donw better with the at's and these had them since last Christmas , and they are pretty much gone

17. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I run BFG A/T KO's on my 98 extended cab daily driver. IMO, they do well on road, and in snow, although they do slick up as everyone said in mud. But for a DD, they are the best all around tire at least for me.

Based on my experience, there is something wrong if you are only getting 40K miles out of the BFG A/T's. I just replaced mine in August. I had 95K miles on them. That was also about 5K+ miles with the tierods wearing out. The rear tires were still in OK shape, but the fronts were really worn due to the tierods. Out of the three sets I have worn out, I have never gotten less than 80K miles out of a set. the set with just over 80K were wore out due to two being overinflated for a while, and the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, etc. all being worn out.

18. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i got 100k miles out of my last set! And I just bought 3 more since I had a new spare, but they wear soooo nice and forever, and I think they do pretty good on rocks and dirt but mudd is out of the question...(hate mud anyway).

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

My driving... :D :D :D :doah:

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've had the old style A/T & M/T, (both in 35") and the the new style A/T(30"). The new A/Ts are definitely a good trail tire. They hold rock, have good flotation, and are durable. I liked them in the sand better than Michelin (30") or General (31") A/Ts. I was not impressed with them in clay-mud, but have a friend that has had success with them in mud.

For an all around tire where snow is involved BFG A/T. No snow, BFG M/T.