Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG ALL TERRAINS!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 3, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

anybody running BFG ALL TERRAINS on their blazer? i am and i finally tested them in the snow this weekend..all i have to say is wow!! they are amazing!! this weekend i went and played in the mountains n stuff, i went with my dad hes got a 2000 dodge dakota quad cab 4x4, now the thing is he has posi front/rear from factory! must be nice i dont have that. well were going up the mountain and encounter the first hill and he starts slippin all over the place (big o AT's not snow tires) so he gets it finally and then i just float up the hill!! i love them, with a 10" rim they glide! eventually my dad got stuck and i had to pull him out it was funny!! i also pulled down a tree trying to get him out!! dont know y im writing so much, but it was fun!!

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

my dad ran them for a few years and he loved them. i saw him drive his unlocked 87 1 ton dodge in the SNOW places i would've thought those street tires couldn't go... great tire for what they are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I have 33x12.50x15 BFG ATs on my Blazer. I'm not sure how many miles are on them, quite a bit, and they show hardly any signs of wear. They are great on the street, trail, and sand. The only time I have trouble with them is in moist dirt, not mud, but moist so it sticks together and packs up the tires and they won't clean out. Otherwise they have been good tires.

4. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I have them on my K5 and they are pretty dead now but I've had them for about 6 years. 3 years on a Toyota picup and 3 on the K5. I noticed them wearing alot faster with the weight of the Blazer. they are awesome in snow but not so hot in mud unless you keep them spinning pretty fast.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had a set (31's) on an S-10 Blazer, and they went 80,000. Light rig and regular rotation, but the wear characteristics are awesome. They were great in the snow/ice as well.

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Just put mine on last week. There was some pretty dicy ice around here yesterday..... they handled themselves nicely.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I ran a set for about 3 years and loved every mile of them. They are what I put on the wifes Jeep this last time. Great in the elements.

If I ever went back to a DD style tire, that would be the one.

KP

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I've got 35's BFG-AT's They have been a very good tire, But I've seen the cost go up on em. So I don't know if I'll get another set.

Eric

9. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with everyone about the snow traction. It is awesome. I only have one problem, which I'm sure someone wlse has noticed. They like to float on slush. Maybe it's just me but they seem to handle like front wheel drive car in the slush. However, they are wide. That doesn't help. Just my opinion.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running 32x11.5x15 BFG AT KO's on my Jimmy. I like them alot for most of the wheeling there in AZ. They do pretty well on rock, dirt, sand, street. The mud they suck in though. I never got stuck with them in the mud, but that was because of momentum, and the fact that most AZ mud isn't to deep.

Everytime I did go in the mud they clog up and turn into big round turds on the end of the axles. They last very well on the street, and have very good street characteristics. I never had a problem with them, and really like them. I have always thought about getting a set of 35's for the rocks, but I always hear Marv cursing them, so I am going to the mud terrains, or MTR's. I also am in Colorado, and the AT's don't do well here except onroad, ice, and snow. They get percipitaion here, which is something we don't get much of in AZ. Thats why they work so well there.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 325/60R15 BFG AT/ko's on my daily driver. I'm very happy with them and have gotten almost 2mpg better than with the Thornbirds I was running. I have not taken them off road any more than just driving through the yard, dirt roads, and such.

Are you sure the new Dodge Dakota has "posis" front and rear. I'd be willing to be it has a trac-loc in the rear and a open front.

12. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Are you sure the new Dodge Dakota has "posis" front and rear. I'd be willing to be it has a trac-loc in the rear and a open front.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea im pretty sure..i know it has posi rear, i drive it all the time.. you know when u drive a normal truck w/out posi, only one wheel will peel out when u hit it. well his is both.. it has to be, ive seen this truck do some stuff that i thought was un-doable (like them words huh?) pluse the truck is a 2000, its not brand new

13. Catman

Catman Registered Member

My 33x12.50x15's do great in almost all situations (OK, mud can get "interesting") but it's a daily driver. In my part of the high desert we get flooding every time it rains. Watch out for deep puddles at highway speeds. Can you spell "hydroplane? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have 33 bfg's- great tires not much road noise if they are rotated properlly-

Brandy

15. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

Awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Looking at putting some on the 89 blazer 295-75R/16 about 186.00 from discount tire with there groovy road hazard warrenty!

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Maybe it's because you're getting some for a 16" wheel, but that seems pretty high. I only gave $150 each for my 325/60R15's.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Dakotas of any year do not have front locking hubs, that means a LSD would cause drag on the street-not the best thing for an automaker concerned w/ MPG and street handling.
    BTW, Posi is short for Positraction, a GM name, so I would say it has no Posi. It may have LSD in the rear diff.

18. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I have 32X11.5X15 on my Blazer and they work like a charm on the highway and in snow. on a side street with really packed snow I goosed it and chewed the snow all the way down to the pavement! They're a bit noisier than stock but thats not important.