Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG AT Trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frank74, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I have 3 older bfg ats on my truck and a newer one in the front right, all of which are the 33x12.50r15 size. My problem is that the older left front tire has bulged considerably on the tread surface. Between the treads there are 5 rips, each one showing the second layer of rubber(or whatever the compound may be). It causes my truck to wobble and head right rather than straight. I am thinking about upgrading tires, but can not afford 4 new tires. I have tohught about going for 33x14r15 boggers in the rear for mudding, and using both of the old bfg rears up front, and the newer bfg as a spare. Or should I just buy another Bfg At and mount it where the buldged one is. I rarely do freeway driving, and only use the truck to drive to high school(which is only 2 miles away on our city streets)and in the winter i use it for both street driving and mudding. Can I expect to get good wear out of the boggers, or should i just save my money and buy one new bfg and call it good. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

This happened to me on my Toyota I used to have. One started and I let it go w/o much thought but the others were quick to follow. Ended up costing me 4 new tires. So becarefull if you decide to run the old two in the front.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At the very least get that tire off the front. I'd put my best two tires on the steering axle...

Good wear from boggers?/forums/images/icons/grin.gif uhhh...not likely. I'd save your money for some BFG MT's, or something comparable unless you're into hardcore wheeling. It sounds like your AT's are about done and the other tires will likely do the same thing as the one on the front right now.

Rene

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If this truck is still a full time 4x4 then you really should replace all 4 tires at the same time. If you have worn tires on one end and new tires on the other end then the truck will have the driveline fightint itself. it will cause accelerated tire wear, poor millage and handling issues. If the rears are 50% or better tread than you can proably get away with just new fronts IF they are the same tire. The KO's run taller than the old versions and I would not recomend mixing. that said the old versions may still be available.

5. Grim-Reaper

Well it has been shown that it's safer to put the new tires on the rear and is especialy true for front wheel drive vehicles. The reason is this. Understeer is much easier to control than oversteer.
    By having the tires with less traction in the front then if the car is at it's limits the car will tend to plow and go straight. Natural reaction for the driver is to start getting off the gas and then the transfer of weight will case the understeer to come back in line.
    Having the better tires in the front will cause the front to turn but the rear to loose traction first and cause the car to spin. Basiccly it would be unrecoverable for the average driver if the rear came around.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

PARK THE TRUCK! Your tire is about to seperate. If you are curious what happens when a tire comes apart, check out any of the pictures involving Firestone tires and Fords. I had a tire blow out on me once, it scared the crap out of me and had there been anyone in the lanes to the right or left of me, there would have been some serious damage.

I'm surprised anyone on this board is even suggesting you drive on a tire like that. If you're not concerned with the damage you may cause your truck (or yourself), think of what or who you might hit if your tire blows while driving, especially in the winter or even the limited highway driving you do, which is when that tire will get it's hottest and blow.

Anyone here agree with me?
    I'll shut up now.

Eric M.

7. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Did you get a warranty with the tires. It sounds like it going to separate and as long as it are above the legal tread wear limit, they should be replaced for free.

8. Frank74

Bought the truck which had them on there. Now i know why one is new. I think i have pretty much made my mind up on what tires i will get: Thornbirds. They seem like they would have acceptable road manners, and appear as if they are effective offroad as well(with the large lugs on the sides). Have any of you owned these tires, or have suggestions about my situation? I am 17 years of age and with the little money I have, I would like to make a good, educated purchase. My dad suggests i just buy 2 new thornbirds for the front and leave the old bfgs in the back, and replace them later with other thornbirds(which i would mount in front and put the slightly older ones in back). However, I feel i should just plop down the 600-700 dollars and get it fixed and not worry about it, and maybe i'll be able to unload the older bfgs. Experienced advice or any help would be great.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Nooooooo! Thornbirds not only suck off road, they suck on road as well. They wear out quickly and unevenly on the street, and they have poor traction almost anywhere off road. They don't work well in the rocks, and they pack up with mud pretty much instantly. The only place they seem to be OK is in the sand, because they have such little traction that they stay on top pretty well. I suggest you get regular Swamper Radials or SSRs, or one of the new Trxus line from Interco. </font color>

10. Frank74

How about the new LTB in the 33x13.5r15 size?

11. Grim-Reaper

Thornterds suck! Loud as all hell too. I think you had an alingment problem and those front tires have been over heated to cause that problem. I have BFG's on both my trucks and even my car runs BFG's (G-force) and never had any problems.
    If your want an aggressive tire then go with the TSL raidial. They are fairly quiet and ride pretty good. I personnaly feell you will still buy two sets of TSL's before you go through one set of BFG's. I just sold a set of BFG MT's with at least 20k on them and they still had 50% tread.