Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG AT's & MT's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

BFG AT\'s & MT\'s

Has anyone run all terrain tires on the front and muds in the back? My dad has this on his F*rd pickup. It seem like a sound theory. You would have more flotation in the front where the heavy motor is, and better bite in the rear. You would also get decent braking with the At's in the front because the front does 70% of the braking. The only real drawback is you can only rotate your tires side to side. I would just like to here some opinions on the subject. Thanks

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: BFG AT\'s & MT\'s

I have seen this more on 2wd's than anything....just get some good MT's rotate them properly...plenty of grip to get wherever.... a 4wd with AT's in the front and MT's in the rear is looking to clog the front, grip with the rear and push you into a diection or into something you dont want to go into....

example....
    On the trail around here its mud...some sandy mud some gumbo mud....hit a soft spot the AT's instantly clog with the gumbo mud...you start to sink...you hit it an the back grabs but you can't control the direction you want to go because the front is staying clogged....nice big shady oak tree...here comes your blazer...get the picture....

Thats what i think of...others might have somethign better to say about this setup
    If the tires are free or a swamper(front) bogger(rear) setup thats a different story!

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would go with M/T's all around. They're not that much more expensive than the A/T's and they'll handle much much better off road. I don't think braking is a issue with either tire and I agree with BowtieBlazer in that the A/T's will be about as useful as a drag slick when you hit the goo

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its a bad idea all the way around to run 2 different types of tires on the rear and front axle. It is hard on the transfer case.
    One axle gets good traction and the other axle slips. The result is similar to running 2 different gear ratios. It puts a lot more stress on the T case. All your tires should be the same size and the same tread design. That way the load is more equalized between the front and rear.
    Many reputable tire shops wont even mount up a combo like that unless you sign a release saying you wont hold them liable for damages.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You all make damn good points. I was just wondering what you all thought. Thanks for the input. By the way my Dad only runs this setup because he had to. He bought two AT's for the rear, (all he could afford) and a couple weeks later he went back to get two more. They were on nation wide back order because of the whole Firestone recall thing and we had hunting season 3 days later so he bought the MT's for the back. Also Bridgestone tires are just as bad as Firestone. Yes I know they are the same company, and there product is just as crappy. Two Bridgestones failed at highway speed on his truck. They weren't tread speration, but they were massive blow outs. I have only every seen one BFG have a massive blow out ever, and its never happened to me. (41/2 sets).