Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG is out 4-5 weeks on 35's!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BFG is out 4-5 weeks on 35\'s!

What a weekend. Last planned ride on my 32's Saturday. Pretty easy trail for the most part with a fun creek to run through. Ran the trail one direction then came back following the creek managed to ben my transfercase skid on a rock. Yeeehaaa! Go to do this clib out of a ravine with a little trickle of water in the bottom.....3 trucks made it and I was not one of them. Damn clay....could not get the tread to clean on half wore out tires. So we come back up through the creek. Guy 2 truck in front of me pulls out. I'm comming and about the same spot I hear Blluuuggg splash and the front of the truck drops. Cut a side wall. Get dragged out since I can't get the fron up out of the hold with one side on the rim and the tire off the bead. Change the tire and call it a day.
    I'm running about 55mph on the hwy headed home and all of a sudden the back of the truck drops all sorts of grinding I get a hols of the truck look out my left window and watch my right rear tire PASS me in the median. rolls right up into oncomming traffic. They all managed to dodge it. As I grind to a stop on the brake drum I watch my tire hit the side of a Ford ranger waiting for the light. Sucker was still rolling about 40 mph. Hit it dead square in the door and caves it in about a foot blows the window out. THANK GOD nobody was hurt. Left a huge BFG foot print in the door.
    Few of my buds come along lend me a hand getting the truck back together as we wait for the cops. Feel bad for the poor folks who truck my tire just tore up. Cop was cool and so were the people. No tickets just got to get these folks truck fixed.
    So I have my Tax return in the bank. Head over to order new tires and the guy calls the warehouse. BFG has run out of 35's. They tell me 4-5 weeks before BFG gets them back out. So I'm off the trail till the end of March it looks like if I want BFG's I don't have enough decent tires of the same size and being double locked I would end up driving around in circles.
    Heck maybe I'll look at Swampers again.
    What a weekend.
    Somebody give me $4,500 for Dollar....I found a 404 Mog for $5k.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: BFG is out 4-5 weeks on 35\'s!

First reply didn't take, so I'll try it again.

I've seen the after-math of a tire hitting a moveing car, it totaled 'em. Very ugly deal. Consider yourself lucky, well... kinda lucky. Sounded like a ruff trip, bet your glad your home.

Don't sell Dollar, you can't put a price on personality.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My heart would have been pounding if that happened to me. Your very lucky that nobody was seriously hurt (like yourself). So many things could have happened..Scary stuff Grimm!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man Grim, sounds like you earned my CK5 "title" this time. Good luck on the tires and the repair. Glad it wasn't any worse.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

mental note # 456,000,000....
    don't ride shotgun with grim or t-rusty

Just kidding...sounds like I need to get out wheelin again, I haven't had that much fun in quite sometime. Glad you and everyone else is alright though.

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What came apart? Lugnuts? Ouch.

Try the MTRs anyway :)

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea, well if it had to hit a car, and nobody got hurt then the furd was a good choice!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

damn the wheel actually came off? dont you feel like such a worthless redneck when stuff like that happens? I had the lugnuts break on an el camino of mine once, somehow amazingly I pulled over w/o the wheel actually coming off, but the weight of the vehicle and the brake drum was resting on the inside of the wheel..

mike

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had my lug nuts fall off my front driver side wheel fly off tryin to get one the freeway..iit dident even feel like i lost a wheel...the way the off ramp was banked i was sittin leval..the only reason i knew somthing was wrong was the sparks and the tire bouncing off the curb then launchin about 30 feet into the air and then landing the the #2 lane of a 3 lane hwy and missed every car...how it did that i still cant figure out...

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've been told they're out of metric 35's for a sixteen inch rim in the MTR. Could this be a 35 inch conspiracy, being that moab is coming up? Wait, there's a black helicopter flying over my house . (Damn Olympics)

Tom

The truth is out there

Don't follow me, I won't make it.

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do not think they are out of the MTRs - I ruined one a few days ago, they put it on order, 3-4 days in Ca, overnight from Kent Wa for big $$$ shipping.

I will find out on the 19th tho.

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

12. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

How right you are! My tire came off almost the same way. my lugs actually sheered clean off at the rotor. and it went bounding down the road across the median and a 18 wheeler smakced it going like 50 mph. couldn't find all of that bfg. so what am i supposed to do with three 35's. i guess i will wait the 4-6 weeks b/c the other three are still new!

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Grim,

...you're a thrill a minute...!! : D

Marv

14. Grim-Reaper

Yeah Know Marv Restoration is starting to look a lot cheaper. I got a rust free 70 LeMans Convertable with a Big Block sitting in the garage. For what I have spent in busted stuff in the last couple years if I had dumped that cash in the Pontiac I would have a 95 point car. And it sure would be more fun on the street! Ahhh only so much excitement in blowing the doors of Mustangs. Always something new with wheeling.
    Good year people said...Uhhhhh I'll pass. Every good year tire I have ever owned I hated. Once I stuck with Michelin products my tire problems went away. The set of tires I cut this past weekend I bought 7/97. I have beat the crap out of them and other than a couple side wall slices they have held up and they wear great. Those tires were on my wifes 79 before they were on my 75. They been to Florida a few times. I figure I got 20k on them and they probably have about 15-20K left on them. Not bad for a Mud tire,
    I'm starting to reconcider swampers. I didn't realize the Radials were in the $140 range. I thought they were all in the $180 range. Just not sure I can live with the swamper hum. It's about 2 hours to the trails here. I do drive the truck to work in the summer when the weather is nice and I can run without the top. With no interrior to speak of the BFG's are loud.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know much about 'em, but this weekend as I was leaving the local Sams Warehouse Club, I noticed that they have Uniroyal Mud's in 35x12.50x15 for $113 each! The tread design is similar to the BFG's. Seems like a pretty cheap alternative, if they hold up well. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

16. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Glad everyone was alright! :)
    My g/f and I witness a tire flying off a car and hitting the car right in front of us this past summer. We were coming back from a Maryland football game and I was a little tipsy from tailgating all day (wasn't driving) and this lady cut us off at an intersection; just peeled out right in front of us and we had to slow down almost to stop to avoid collision. I stuck my middle finger out the window and she just spead up......about 1/4mile up, this car on the other side of the road lost it's tire and spun at her car so fast, hit her front fender, and I saw her window burst....that tire knocked her into the curb and she popped both her front and rear passenger side tires (oh and her front driver popped too from impact).....I was soo thankful she cut us off after that and glad it wasn't us......

Anyhow, what do you think about General Mud Grabbers....their tread design look pretty good and are in the $130 or 40 price range.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

17. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Grim, the Swamper hum with the radials is NOTHING, you can carry on a normal conversation at 75 mph no problem. I love my TSL's Like em a great deal better than the BFG's . On the wait I would say its because they are probably changing tread patterns. Check with NTB if you have to have them. Between their stores in the Atlanta area they are bound to have a full set, they match prices too.

On another note, I smell roll cages and all kinds of neat tube products in my future (hint, hint, wink wink JD2 2" and 1.5" dies en route) Now if my notcher deal works out.

Drop me an email
    Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

18. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

well, that just proves how many problems that georgia clay causes.

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

19. Grim-Reaper

I don't do Uniroyal either. My wifes 79 had a set on them when we bought it. They were the Larado A/T's took one trail ride to seperate the tread on a nearly new tire. Started comming apart like it was a retread. That's when I got the BFG's. I have run ten times as rough of trails with them with little or no trouble and did it for 20k miles.
    There is a reason Michilin is the best world wide. They have the best quality in the world. BFG Tire is owned by Michilin. My fear with the swampers is I have seen several with blistered side walls and they wear bad. Nobody that I have found will put road hazard on them. Both BFG's I have destroyed I have been able to get road hazard to help with the replacement. Yes the swamper is awsome off road and much better in mud but doing the math it's cheaper to run the BFG's. They will last twice as long as the Swampers and I can get road hazard on them. Lot to be said for that.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Call BFG back and ask them for the BLEM part numbers for the tire size and tread you want. They seem to ALWAYS have blems in stock.

Then take that part number to your tire dealer and have them order them. These blems will be WAY CHEAPER than you think!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>